ISSF World Cup Brasil

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

jipe

ISSF World Cup Brasil

Post by jipe »

I have been looking at the results of the ongoing World Cup in Rio de Janeiro and was quite astonished that there are no shooters from Russia and China.

Any information why ?
toznerd

Post by toznerd »

I would guess that they have earned quota slots and selected their teams this close to the olympics. Add to that the travel expenses, possibility of losing equipment on multi-stop trans-world flights, the wearing effect of travel on athletes, and pre-olympic training routines that might be more process driven than result driven. Still, just a guess.

toznerd
Richard H

Re: ISSF World Cup Brasil

Post by Richard H »

jipe wrote:I have been looking at the results of the ongoing World Cup in Rio de Janeiro and was quite astonished that there are no shooters from Russia and China.

Any information why ?
There are no quota slots, its far away, and really there is no need for them to go. Not only are there none from China and Russia there are very few top shooters from anywhere there. Its a good place to be to get ISSF points though.

As quotas are only awarded for the WC's in the last three years of the quad, some of the events in the first year will have poor attendance. Munich and Bejing will most likely be the best attended with more of the top athletes at them. Bejing for sure as most (if not all) that will be going to the Olympics will want to try the facility.
jipe

Post by jipe »

Yes, Beijing is clear: all shooters qualified for the Olympics will go to just to test the new facilities.

So top shooters, qualified for the Olympics, do not need to go in Brasil.

But, no shooters from neither Russia nor China is strange even if it is far away since both countries have a lot of good shooters, much more than the one allowed to compete at the Olympics. Usually, they have too much shooters than allowed even for ISSF World Cup.

I looked at the qualification results of all already finished categories and didn't see any Russian nor any Chinese !?!?

I guess that budget is not an issue neither for Russia nor for China.
Mellberg

Post by Mellberg »

I was a little disapointed with this years first shows. The intro is way to long and the interviews etc are very boring. I mean, the interview with Didonna is wasn't even translated, and the only one able to speak decent english is the regular narrator, and his english isn't exactly good. Constantly misspronouncing names and reporting wrong scores.

Don't get me wrong, I love to watch these shows and it's nice to have a voice explaining what happens, but the quality is very low right now.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

I note that Jason Parker made the trip, but not Steven Sherer.
I think Steven still has to establish an MQS in a World Cup.

Anyone know why he did not go?