Sling Question

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Edward

Sling Question

Post by Edward »

I am currently using the Anschutz sling, and I have been slipping my metal Gehmann coat clip under the sling, thus allowing the sling to rotate around the arm. Currently I feel that the sling works itself to low on my bicep while in position. I put a Anschutz style clip on my coat last night and used the metal clip receiver on my sling, and got into position. This was a big change, my sling now comes off my arm toward the outside, while my old setup the sling came of my arm more to the inside, near my arm pit. I have attached a picture of my sling, and any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Eddie
Attachments
Sling.jpg
Sling.jpg (31.45 KiB) Viewed 2090 times
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

You comment it was a big change - in what way and how did your shooting feel ? You also don't really say why you changed or if there was some problem you were trying to overcome ?

Rob.
Edward

Post by Edward »

With standard clip riding under sling, sling comes off the arm in the middle to the inside of the arm toward my chest.

With the Anschutz style clip, attached to the fixed metal reciever on the sling, the sling cannot rotate around, thus the sling comes off the arm much more to the outside of the arm. This requires sling to be loosened and feels very different.

Does any one here use a Anschutz sling? If you do, do you use the metal sling reciever clip?

Where does your sling come off your arm with your sling? Is your sling free to rotate around the arm, or do you use something that would keep the sling fixed like on the Anschutz sling?
BJ

Post by BJ »

I use the anschutz sling and have never liked attaching it with the metal clip thing. When I use the clip it positions the sling way too far down my arm for my personal liking.

Brian
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Same as BJ.
I changed it to a Thune II because the Anschutz one is made of leather and I've been told about streching problems(although I didn't realised something like that.I am also a rooky in prone...)
BartP

Sling hook

Post by BartP »

Hi Edward,

There are two goals your sling hook needs to accomplish and they are achieved differently for each shooter. I may be incorrect, but I think this what Rob (above) might be getting at.

1)The brachial artery that travels down the inside of your arm fishes around within your upper arm. That artery is responsible for the pulse movement you may see in your sight picture, noptel, or when using a scope. The best shooters try to keep the sling from rotating inward thus avoiding excessive pressure on the inside of the arm and that artery. If your jacket doesn't fit as well as it should, or if the sling keeper assembly is unable to hold the sling over to the left, it will rotate inward and you will experience a greater pulse and inaccuracy due to increased pulse movement AND ...

2) Degrading position: If the sling hook cannot position the sling and KEEP it rotated to the outside, your sling will rotate inward and your position will loosen up as the match progresses.

BJ (above) and I have discussed sling position to great length. As you have read, he prefers NOT to use his sling hook assembly and simply hooks the body of the sling. It still has the ability to rotate inward. That's fine if he doesn't have any pulse issues - but most of us do - that's why they made the metal hook and bracket to begin with. Personally, I use any and every method to keep the sling to outside of the arm. My jacket fits very well and I use the hook in my Anschutz sling AND I tighten the sling around my arm once it is in place to reduce rotation during the match. I have tried endless sling positions (on my arm) with my noptel to determine what position provides the most steady tracking. Although my sling keeping system is on the shortest hole and my outside sling appears high on my arm, I have to LOWER the inner sling position to avoid my artery. Tricky.

Your goal should be to get the steadiest position possible. More than not, you will need to make CUSTOM alterations to your sling keeping system to achieve the best hold, comfort, and function. From changing the position of the actual sling keeper (you will need a leather tailor!) to finding a buddy who can fabricate what you think you might need to clip it all together, "custom" can be the answer. Remember, shooting companies only put the stuff out there "on-mass", it's up to you to take it to the next level by addressing each function of your shooting with a very personal sense of development. Shooting tens is easy. Shooting centershots is not.

Bart
Edward

Post by Edward »

Thanks everyone for the excellent coaching, I will be making some changes for the weekend for sure, since what I was doing wasn't working.