Hammerli Free Pistols

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
mparker

Hammerli Free Pistols

Post by mparker »

Which of the Hammerli "100 series", 100, 120, etc., is generally considered the best of Hammerli's free pistols?
renzo

Post by renzo »

For starters, the 120 is not considered a "true" free pistol.

Anyway, there's a world of difference between what I always understood as the "100" series (up to the model 107) with the more modern 150-152's and 160-162's, and I never knew they were grouped together.

What type are you referring to?
conradin

Post by conradin »

MP33 and 100 is the same; it was changed from MP33 to 100 because of a change of ownership of the company.
101-103 is an improvement, mostly about trigger weight adjustment.
104-107 was made in response to the Isch. Mostly about making it "luxurious looking'.
120 is an economical version which is not considered a truly world class pistol.
150-152 was made in response to MC55, and later 160 and 162.
FP10 is made by S.A.M.
FP60 is made by Walther.

The only successful Hammerli Free pistol., record wise, are the MP33/100, 101, and 152. 104-107 is competitive and medals winners. 160 and 162 is a modification of 150 and 152 which have some quarks in them that a lot of people do not feel comfortable. Neither FP10 nor FP60 made any compact in competition, but that may be more to do with the dominance of Morini. The only person that uses FP60 in the world stage is Vladimir Isakov, and that is only a reason thing for him.

I would say the best is MP33/100; but they are so scarce and parts are hard to replace that it is not practical to own them, sane applies to 101. 104 is a good substitute. But the best other than the 100 series is the 152. It is the only FP that can match Toz35 in performance until the arrival of Morini.
slofyr

Post by slofyr »

conradin wrote:...The only successful Hammerli Free pistol., record wise,.....But the best other than the 100 series is the 152. It is the only FP that can match Toz35 in performance until the arrival of Morini.
Every FP is capable of winning in the hands of an experienced shooter. Saying that a pistol is not a success or performs less than another pistol because it wasn't held by a guy who happened to shoot a high score is materialistic nonsense.

Larry has claimed that the H160 is the best FP Hammerli ever built. I assume that praise refers to consistent build quality and mechanical function.
conradin

Post by conradin »

slofyr wrote: Larry has claimed that the H160 is the best FP Hammerli ever built. I assume that praise refers to consistent build quality and mechanical function.
He was just asking which Hammerli is better. So the only way to gauge is by record. In reality each pistol can be so customized to the shooter that there is no real answer. Is Melentiev's MC55 the best, or the 60' MC55 custom built by Minder better? Nobody knows, except under their owners' hands they broke world records. I sure cannot shoot like Minder does.

But if we simply use evolution as a logical way to see which one is the best, then either it will be the 16x (the last Hammerli factory built), or the FP60 (the newest Hammerli built by Walther), ie, the logic of the newer is always the best (of course it may not be true).

Personally I am sticking with my 100.
jipe

Post by jipe »

Anyway, from a functional point of view, the FP60 and 160 are very similar, the frame is different, aluminum vs. steel, but most internal parts (internal trigger unit with its little hammer, breech unit with firing pin) are identical (same part number) and the grip is also the same. The only real new part in the FP60 is the rear sight and the fact that there is no electronic trigger version of the FP60.

When you say that the 160 is a modification of the 150, then it is a major modification as these pistols do not share any parts. Also what version of the 150 are you talking of, there were 3 different versions of the 150 ?
mparker

Post by mparker »

Thanks so much for the eye-opening discussion. Perhaps I asked the wrong question and, I realize my ignorance is showing when it comes to Olympic style shooting.

I have a Hammerli 280 and a 208. I am mildly interested in a free pistol for my own casual shooting pleasure.

Maybe I should have asked you experienced free pistols shooters which Hammerli free pistol you think would be the best, most cost effective one for me based on my intended use.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

The gouge advice given to most new FP shooters is to buy a Toz-35.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Well, a 160 Special is a pretty good FP, and beats the TOZ qualitywise by a mile.
mparker

Post by mparker »

It's been suggested to me by another source that Hammerli FP parts are too hard to get and to avoid them in favor of something else.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Nah, everything from 150 onwards is no problem, I know who bought the whole stock when the Lenzburg factory was closed ;-) TOZ parts are also a p.i.t.a., the only FP in production are the Morini, the Pardini and the FP60.
william

Post by william »

the only FP in production are the Morini, the Pardini and the FP60.
An oversight or is the MG5 already out of production?
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

True, forgot about that. More variants in five years than others did in thirty. Good pistol, though.
brakarzac

Post by brakarzac »

mparker wrote:It's been suggested to me by another source that Hammerli FP parts are too hard to get and to avoid them in favor of something else.
I have an FP60 and absolutely love it.
Parts are no problem, I made sure before buying.

I wasnt keen on the Morini, I have had one before and dont like the balance of it.

Cheers
Brad
jipe

Post by jipe »

Tycho wrote:Nah, everything from 150 onwards is no problem, I know who bought the whole stock when the Lenzburg factory was closed ;-) TOZ parts are also a p.i.t.a., the only FP in production are the Morini, the Pardini and the FP60.
On top of that, since most internal parts (the most subject to break: breech assembly with firing pin, the trigger mechanism) of the 160 and FP60 are the same, these parts of the 160 are still in production and can easily be bought from Walther.
afm

Hammerli FP10

Post by afm »

Hi,

I am a new member in this forum and interestd in olympic target shooting.
I am in the way of buying a free pistol and have been offered by my gun dealer a new old stock Hammerli FP10 for an interesting price.
Any member has experience with this model? How good is it?
This will be my first free pistol - so far I have only shot Standard pistol with my Walther GSP Express and air with Steyer LP10.

Is the price difference to a new Morini enough justification for the difference of quality/popularity?

Many thanks in advance for your help.
AFM
conradin

Post by conradin »

How interesting is the price?
william

Post by william »

conradin wrote:How interesting is the price?
Did you notice that the "interesting price" is in Portugal? Nao faze mal.
afm

Post by afm »

william wrote:
conradin wrote:How interesting is the price?
Did you notice that the "interesting price" is in Portugal? Nao faze mal.
Surprised with your Portuguese!
Yes it is in Portugal and the price is about 1200 euro... Probably high for US standards, but here not too bad...Our "sales" tax (VAT) is 23%...
Walther GSP Express, Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5, Steyr LG110
rmca

Post by rmca »

Hi AFM

If you compare it to the price of a new Morini or Pardini (around 1600€+), you're still saving a bit of cash, but I strongly advise you to look into the used pistols.

They keep popping up now and then, although not often, and are way more cheaper. Got my TOZ35M with a Morini grip for 400, and the last Morini I saw for sale went for 650. Both were in like new condition.

PM me if you want more details.

Abraço
rmca