New shooter looking for first pistol advice

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
kdarwood

New shooter looking for first pistol advice

Post by kdarwood »

Hi everyone, my name is Kyle. I'm new to 10 meter pistol shooting, but not new to airguns. I've been shooting rifles for years and have also had an IZH46M for a short period of time, but never got serious about shooting with it and sold it. I've recently gotten a renewed interest in trying 10 meter shooting, since it would be convenient for me to shoot inside during the winter months and also possibly shoot casual competitions. My question for all of you that have much more knowledge than me is, what would be some options for a beginner? I'd like something I could grow into as my skill increases, but I'm not willing to spend a fortune at this point. I realize buying used would probably get me a much higher quality pistol than brand new, so that is definitely an option. I'd really like a PCP and I'd like to keep my cost under 1K. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
ron88nnie

Re: New shooter looking for first pistol advice

Post by ron88nnie »

kdarwood wrote:Hi everyone, my name is Kyle. I'm new to 10 meter pistol shooting, but not new to airguns. I've been shooting rifles for years and have also had an IZH46M for a short period of time, but never got serious about shooting with it and sold it. I've recently gotten a renewed interest in trying 10 meter shooting, since it would be convenient for me to shoot inside during the winter months and also possibly shoot casual competitions. My question for all of you that have much more knowledge than me is, what would be some options for a beginner? I'd like something I could grow into as my skill increases, but I'm not willing to spend a fortune at this point. I realize buying used would probably get me a much higher quality pistol than brand new, so that is definitely an option. I'd really like a PCP and I'd like to keep my cost under 1K. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Sorry to Intrude here : I am in the same position , consdiering which gun to buy shortly , I would appreciate suggestions on : Styer or Morini , mechanical or electronic trigger , I have shot all 4 versions , but my little experience cant tell the difference , I need some advice on the investment , & how about Feinwerkbau ? Thanks in advance , ron.
chuckjordan

Post by chuckjordan »

Any of the brands mentioned (Steyr, morini, FWB, Hammerli, Walther) can do well. You need to show up at a match and ask shooters if you can try them (after the match would be polite).

Also note shooting a PCP you'll need a tank. Tanks that are equipped can run from $200 (used for steel) to $800 (new, and, carbon fiber). So, consider those expenses too. Another option is to rent a tank. You may want to check your local scuba store for details.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Or a good pump is an option. A few minutes of pumping per week keeps my Pardini cylinders filled quite nicely. I use a Gehmann 4-stage, a bit pricey but very solid and functional.
Val

Post by Val »

Gerard wrote:Or a good pump is an option. A few minutes of pumping per week keeps my Pardini cylinders filled quite nicely. I use a Gehmann 4-stage, a bit pricey but very solid and functional.
I'll second that!
ron88nnie

Post by ron88nnie »

chuckjordan wrote:Any of the brands mentioned (Steyr, morini, FWB, Hammerli, Walther) can do well. You need to show up at a match and ask shooters if you can try them (after the match would be polite).

Also note shooting a PCP you'll need a tank. Tanks that are equipped can run from $200 (used for steel) to $800 (new, and, carbon fiber). So, consider those expenses too. Another option is to rent a tank. You may want to check your local scuba store for details.
I heard that Styer LP10E has quite some maintenance issues , which is hard to keep up if you are alone at home. Any ideas ?
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

What would those maintenance issues be? I've had one since just after they were released, have had no issues and there's no maintenance just like my LP10. I haven't even changed the batteries yet.
dubbel-v

Post by dubbel-v »

ron88nnie wrote:
chuckjordan wrote:Any of the brands mentioned (Steyr, morini, FWB, Hammerli, Walther) can do well. You need to show up at a match and ask shooters if you can try them (after the match would be polite).

I heard that Styer LP10E has quite some maintenance issues , which is hard to keep up if you are alone at home. Any ideas ?
Heard from who? Based upon what?
dronning

Post by dronning »

ron88nnie wrote: I heard that Styer LP10E has quite some maintenance issues , which is hard to keep up if you are alone at home. Any ideas ?
Just did a ton of research and I found just the opposite to be true. Everyone that owned one and everyone article printed that I could find said they are solid. So I bought a LP10E.

The electronic trigger was dropped from the 5 shot LP50 because Steyr wasn't completely happy with it due to a rare indexing issue that could happen but, everyone I talked to that owns an LP50E loves it and will never give it up. The LP50 mechanical trigger gets all kinds of raves.

Dave
ron88nnie

Post by ron88nnie »

Richard H wrote:What would those maintenance issues be? I've had one since just after they were released, have had no issues and there's no maintenance just like my LP10. I haven't even changed the batteries yet.
I am a newbie , wanting to buy a gun of my own , asked around in my club , this was the comment made by the range manager : 'only if you want to spend time to keep up with the maintenance on the Styer LP10E , otherwise forget it'. As I said , I shot LP10 , Morini 162 M & E , Feinwerkbau , I personally like the LP10 , but I was puzzled by the range manager ....
Misny

Post by Misny »

Actually, if you need to keep your cost under a grand right now, I'd consider something like the FWB 65. Of course you will have to pump it once each time before firing, but they are super accurate and have good triggers. They are easy to work on or find some place that will work on them. If you are intent on not wanting a SSP (single-stroke pneumatic) is to get a CO2 powered air pistol. The FWB 20 and 25 are found for $600 and under. A CO2 tank for filling will run around $100 or so. If you want a scuba pistol, like the Steyr, Morini, etc., the gun alone is going to run you well over your $1,000 budget USED. By the time you get a scuba tank and adapter (if k valve), you will have spent about $2,000.
kdarwood

walther lp300 "Club" vs fbw p11

Post by kdarwood »

Thanks for the replies and input. I do have a pump, so no worries about buying an air source. As I said, I'm not looking to spend a lot of money, but I don't want to waste it either, so I'd appreciate your thoughts on the FWB P11 piccolo and the Walther LP300 Club pistol. They are both under $1300 new and I might be able to find a used one for less than 1K. I realize they are both considered a "starter" pistol, but I'm a beginner, so they might be great for me. Does anyone have any experience with these two? Thanks!
dronning

Post by dronning »

This is just a list of competition PCP air pistols I put together, I can't speak to how they perform. These are new prices I found so you should be able to get a good idea what may be available used for <$1K

PCP
Alfa Proj 10-meter match $750
Benelli Kite Olympic Air Pistol $1,300
HAMMERLI AP40 $1,350
FWB P11 Piccolo $1,400
FWB P44 - $1,800
FWB P58 - $2,150
Walther LP 400 $1650
Morini 162EI $1750
Pardini K10 $1,700
Pardini K12 $1,900
Steyr LP10 $2050
Steyr LP10E $2450
Steyr LP50 $2250

Dave
kdarwood

Walther LP300XT

Post by kdarwood »

I've been offered a Walther LP300XT and want to know what would be a fair price to pay for it. It appears to be in excellent condition. Thanks!
Rover

Post by Rover »

kdarwood

Thanks Rover

Post by kdarwood »

I appreciate the link. I've already read that thread and a few others, so I'm aware of the trigger problems, but other than that they appear to be a very good pistol for someone in my position (newbie) at the right price. I'm just curious what the going rate would be for one in excellent condition.
kdarwood

Thanks Rover

Post by kdarwood »

I appreciate the link. I've already read that thread and a few others, so I'm aware of the trigger problems, but other than that they appear to be a very good pistol for someone in my position (newbie) at the right price. I'm just curious what the going rate would be for one in excellent condition.
John C

Post by John C »

I don't think these pistols sell that often on the used market to reliably establish a used price. As I mention in your other thread, Champion's Choice has new Walther LP300 Club pistols for $1179. Although the LP300XT might possibly has some more features (I honestly don't know), the only real difference is the walnut versus beech grip. You have to decide to buy the used gun, or go new.

The one, key thing when buying a used pistol is to make SURE the grip size fits you. Most pistols are sold with medium grips. If you need something different, finding it can be difficult.

Also, how old are the cylinders? The factory rates cylinders as end-of-life at 10 years. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but you can theoretically be excluded from a match for having cylinders more than 10 years old. All the club matches I've ever attended did not have strict equipment controls. But it is something to think about.

-John
kdarwood

Thanks John

Post by kdarwood »

John, I'm not sure exactly how old the pistol is. The gentleman I talked to said he bought it used and believed it was about 5-6 years old. He said he put about 5000 pellets through it before deciding to upgrade to the Steyr LP50, so it has been sitting in his safe for the last 6 months. He showed me pictures and it looks like new. He said it holds air perfectly and functions perfectly. It is the LP300XT and he is offering it to me for $725. I thought that was a really good price and a large step up from the IZH46M I had, so I'm giving it serious consideration.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Don't forget the accessories necessary for a PCP. They can run into money.