CZ BRNO TAU-7

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Xman

CZ BRNO TAU-7

Post by Xman »

I have a line on a Tau-7. I did not know that it could use the CO2 powerlets for charging. So I kind of adjusted my thoughts on a CO2 AP as a possible alternative to an getting a SSP.

It looks in great shape, has all the parts, all english instructions, a bag of what looks like seals, springs, valves, etc. Included is a small but larger reservoir than the powerlets to fill from a commercial sized CO2 reservoir if desired. It comes with the original fitted case too.

Am soliciting thoughts/opinions on the Tau-7.

Also does anyone in the US do service/parts on them for long term consideration.
177thrower

Re: CZ BRNO TAU-7

Post by 177thrower »

Others will be more qualified to answer as far as function but i will mention that you will need a special adapter to fill from a bulk tank and they are not easily found. I think you can get about 60 shots from a 12g bulb.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The fill adapter for the small tanks (and other parts) can be purchased direct from Tau BRNO if it doesn't come with one. At one time, Pilkington sold the Tau-7 Jr's, which share many parts with the full sized pistol.

The college team I help coach used the Tau-7's for many years, with considerable success. They won the National Collegiate Women's Championship many years ago, with at least two of the 3 team members shooting Tau's. They are accurate, the triggers are quite good and easily adjusted. We used them with the bulk fill system, which worked very well, especially because we had about 15 or them. As we got more higher end PCP's, we switched to using the Tau's for the new shooters, and we now have

If you are going to use CO2 cartridges, you MUST alternate between the two piecing caps provided, especially if you leave a cartridge in for longer than 1 shooting session. The O-ring absorbs CO2 over time, and when you suddenly release the pressure, the O-ring will swell. If you re-use the same cap, the swollen O-ring will get damaged quickly. They eventually deteriorate, and need replacing, which isn't a big deal. The bulk fill approach avoids all that, and without the CO2 cartridge in the chamber, you can get quite a few more shots from a good fill. Depending on the velocity adjustment, they will get about 7 shots per gram. One 12 gram cartridge will just get you through a 60 shot match with sighters, but with very little margin.

The Tau-7's can't be dry fired without a special device to prevent the "hammer" from hitting the firing valve. There are designs for various dry-fire adapters around. https://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.ph ... 76#p166476

It used to be that getting custom grips was an issue, but Precision Target Pistol Grips can 3D print them for the Tau-7, and I believe Rink also sells them.
_Axel_

Post by _Axel_ »

I have one, and love it. The only problems I've had is that the trap door loading gate would not stay closed (lost many O rings that way). I fixed that by installing a stronger spring, which makes it kinda hard to operate. Also I never had any luck with bulk filling, I could never get more than a half full reservoir. But for my use, at home, it's still a great gun with Co2 bulbs.

I almost forgot the valve seat used to come loose when i used Pellgun oil to lubricate, as was advised. I stopped that, and that solved the prob. Oil is included in Co2 bulbs anyway, so I consider it oiled that way.

I think the gun is very well balanced with only two barrel weight. Suits me very well!
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Because CO2 is a liquid, the secret to bulk fill is to park the pistol upside down for a couple minutes with fill bottle screwed on. As long as the valve in the fill adapter is work well, you should get a good fill. If you have a digital scale, you can weight the empty pistol and make a note of it. Once it's filled, weight it again to see how much CO2 you got into it.

Overtime, the O-ring in the bulk fill adapter valve can get mashed, and then it becomes difficult to get a good fill:
Really Tired Fill Adapter.jpg
It's pretty easy to replace the valve O-ring. You want to use a D90 hardness O-ring to get the most life out of it.
kd5det

Post by kd5det »

I recently bought a TAU-7 and I really like it. I am a rank beginner so my opinion only counts for so much, but mine shoots real sweet.

When I bought it, it only had one CO2 piercer cap. I wanted a second one so I ordered one from direct from TAUBRUNO. The website said that the currently available parts may not be an exact fit on older models. I ordered one and sure enough it did not fit, just like they warned.

Another problem I ran into was that when I purchased it I found that the sear had worn so that it was not safe to fire. I ordered a new sear from a website in Canada. Again, the part did not fit. I finally quit trying to fix it myself and sent it to Pilkington for repairs. It came back working perfectly.

The short version is that the used one I bought needed repair; matching parts are tricky to find; and Pilkington did a nice job fixing it. None of this was the fault of the gun itself except that it was old.

I have a sear, hammer and a piercing cap that might fit someone's TAU-7. If anyone can use one, let me know.

Dan