suggestions for a scale

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

bummer7

suggestions for a scale

Post by bummer7 »

I appreciate any suggestions and ideas on what scale I should be using for refilling a CO2 cylinder.

Just some background info: I just started training with a borrowed FWB Model 2. The owner was kind enough to provide me with 2 cylinders and a CO2 bottle. Reading the instruction manual, it seems I will need a scale to weigh the cylinder after filling to ensure it's full. I seem to have everything I need except a scale. Can you give me an idea on what scale would work? Is there a preferred brand or model scale you prefer? Why do you prefer it?

Thanks,
-Steve
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

When I was using CO2 I just used a set of (cheap) electronic kitchen scales.
Matt

Re: suggestions for a scale

Post by Matt »

bummer7 wrote:I appreciate any suggestions and ideas on what scale I should be using for refilling a CO2 cylinder.

Just some background info: I just started training with a borrowed FWB Model 2. The owner was kind enough to provide me with 2 cylinders and a CO2 bottle. Reading the instruction manual, it seems I will need a scale to weigh the cylinder after filling to ensure it's full. I seem to have everything I need except a scale. Can you give me an idea on what scale would work? Is there a preferred brand or model scale you prefer? Why do you prefer it?

Thanks,
-Steve
Actually, your specifications for a scale that will function properly is as follows:
1) Cost
2) Accuracy
3) Precision
4) Fragility

-The cost of the scale does not need to be exorbitant. Less than $20.00 will land you a fine postage scale. Usually, a postage scale's platform will have two rivets whereby the cylinder can be placed between to prevent it from rolling off the platform.
-The accuracy and precision of the scale needs to be high enough to ensure consistent fills.
-The fragility of the scale can be a concern but is easily eradicated by acquiring an inexpensive enclosure to ensure the integrity of the scale.

My son and I used an inexpensive postage scale that I purchased from Staples for our air rifles. It met all of our needs quite well and if memory serves me correctly it cost in the neighborhood of $15.00.

Good luck in your search!

Matt
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Agree with David & Matt above .... nothing very fancy is needed.

I like to weigh my cylinders in grams instead of lbs/oz, so I have one that I can hit a button and it switches into the grams mode.
bummer7

Post by bummer7 »

thanks for the information. Because of the suggestions and ideas, I'll look for an inexpensive scale to use. Now I wonder if I can use my electronic reloading scale?
-s
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

My reloading scale will "top out" long before a fill .... even an empty cylinder overloads it. It's meant for highly accurate measurement of powder charges.

Will yours measure the cylinder and a full CO2 fill?

Example> Our CO2 cylinders (Daisy 888's/887's) I fill to a total weight of 475 grams .... my reloading scale only goes to like 75 grams

Most of the inexpensive postal scales will go up to about 9 lbs.
tony gallegos

Scales for weighing CO2 Cylinders

Post by tony gallegos »

Hi Steve, I got my digital scale for weighing my Steyr LP1-C cylinders,
(202g full), from here:

http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/

Many choices and varied price range. Have lotsa fun checking out the site;
Tony G

I bought this one, many extra features that I use for weighing things besides
CO2 cylinders: http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/index ... ProdID=119