Comparison of Air pistols

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Antoni Scott

Comparison of Air pistols

Post by Antoni Scott »

I have had a FWB P34 for about 8 years now. I used to have a FWB 65 spring action air pistol which I replaced with a Pardini K2. The Pardini K2 was by far the best pistol I have owned but it was plagued with inconsistent velocity problems, so much so, in fact that the audible difference in the time it took for the pellet to strike the target was noticeable. The pellets would fall into the 8 ring at 33 feet !!! Constant back and forth arguments between Pardini, Nygord and myself were settled when I presented them with velocity measurements taken from a chronograph. Velocity would differ up to 200 feet per second. I "upgraded" to the FWB P34 out of disgust with the Pardini issue but to be honest, when the Pardini was working, I shot much better with it.

Now I am having what I perceive to be, varying pressure trigger release problems with the FWB. It was, for me, always a more difficult gun to shoot than the Pardini. I can't put my finger on what the problem is but I think it has to do with increased trigger release effort and maybe that absorber and/or trigger back-lash moving the gun before the pellet leaves the barrel.

So now I am ready to get another air pistol but wan't to know if there is really any difference between a Steyr or an FWB ? Any suggestions ?

Also, can the barrel be replaced on the P34 with the shorter version ?

Antoni Scott
LukeP

Re: Comparison of Air pistols

Post by LukeP »

Antoni Scott wrote:
Now I am having what I perceive to be, varying pressure trigger release problems with the FWB. It was, for me, always a more difficult gun to shoot than the Pardini. I can't put my finger on what the problem is but I think it has to do with increased trigger release effort and maybe that absorber and/or trigger back-lash moving the gun before the pellet leaves the barrel.

So now I am ready to get another air pistol but wan't to know if there is really any difference between a Steyr or an FWB ? Any suggestions ?

Antoni Scott
The problems with Fwb can be addressed to the shooter and the pistol.
Im my opinion is a mix between trigger setting and the shooter, but not knowing the shooter, we must address our attention to the pistol.

Imho pardini is very good, don't knowing why you don't make it repairing.
Fwb p34, imho again is also very very good, don't knowing what is wrong in your pistol, we can't argue on online diagnosis.

Evaluating a new pistol:
Steyr lp10 is not so friendly with trigger setting.
Fbw p44 has imho the best trigger i felt ever (also imho better than morini ei).

But, imho, in your shoes, i would try as many different pistol as i can before taking a decision. And put a very close look to a Morini 162EI short.

It is
-reliable
-good trigger
-short barrel
-long sight radius
-no recoil absorber
-nice priced

What do you want more?

Best regards,
LukeP.
tenex

Post by tenex »

Antoni,
Did the Pardini eventually get fixed?

Steve.
william

Post by william »

If you shot well with the Pardini, why don't you get another of the same? It seems that the first one was a lemon, but that can happen with anything. It's a pretty safe bet you won't get another bad one. And it's a far saner (I think) course of action than restarting from square one.... Unless what you really want is to fiddle around with a new toy.