Atlanta Olympics Electronic Targets, etc. ???

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

sparky

Atlanta Olympics Electronic Targets, etc. ???

Post by sparky »

About 3-4 years ago, someone bought all the electronic targets and other stuff from the former Olympic shooting venue in Atlanta to set up a world class shooting facility in Kerrville, TX. Does anyone know whatever happened regarding that effort?
blg

Post by blg »

I haven't heard anything lately but I do know they poured the concrete last summer sometime.

Re: Atlanta Olympics Electronic Targets, etc. ???

Post by Guest »

sparky wrote:About 3-4 years ago, someone bought all the electronic targets and other stuff from the former Olympic shooting venue in Atlanta to set up a world class shooting facility in Kerrville, TX. Does anyone know whatever happened regarding that effort?
My understanding that the equipment was so badly damaged that it wasn't worth fixing, so they are buying new equipment. I am hoping that the deal US Shooting made with Kerrville falls through. Talk about a facility out in the middel of no where.
Telecomtodd

Post by Telecomtodd »

I don't know about no where...author, country/western/comedy singer and former Texas gubernatorial candidate Kinky Friedman is from Kerrville. He even ran for Justice of the Peace there. His campaign slogan was that he'd reduce the speed limit to 54.95, and addressed the residents as "fellow Kerrverts". What a place.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

When I was at Benning recently I heard that the Kerrville folks either sold or gave the equipment from Wolf Creek to Benning to use as spare parts once the found out that they really could not use it.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

I know as of about 2 months ago, that the 25m and 50m targets were still in palce at Wolf Creek. Jack Burch (Kerrville owner) had bought them on the ebay auction several years ago and then Fulton County reneged on the sale, because the clay target throwers were also being sold, and the range across the street also ran by Fulton County wanted them.

I know an individual was trying to contact Fulton County to try to buy the 25 and 50m stuff in mid February. I gave him what info I could.
The 10m targets were taken out in the illegal Christmas re-modeling blitzkrieg orchestrated by Commissiner Bill Edwards. They were sold and I even helped Jack load them in crates with the expectation that he would be buying the rest of the equipment the next few weeks which ultimately didn't happen as I explained above.

The last I heard from Jack, maybe a year ago, was that the plan was to buy new Sius stuff, and was going to sell the 10m stuff to someone who could properly use them for basically what he paid for them. This was predicated on the expectation that he would get a grant from the state of Texas to cover the scost of new Sius equipemtn, which to date has not occured. I don't know the status of the 10m stuff now, somewould would have to call him in kerrville