Shooting Club Problem

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

move to phoenix!

I am on the board of one of our local clubs and our state association (board meetings are tomorrow and saturday respectively) I'm also a member of a third club.

I have observed that there is a very profound technical and attitudinal difference between PRECISION shooters (that's us, plus bullseye, smallbore, High power etc) and ACTION shooters (practical, IPSC, cowboy etc)

and for reasons I cannot possibly fathom, blasting 100+ rounds of 9mm as fast as humanly possible in four 18-second flurries and spending the remainder of 2 hours standing in line waiting to shoot while taking turns working "steel, tape, brass, timer or clipboard" is about 100 times more popular than shooting a $1500 BB gun with one hand at a nearly impossible bullseye the size of an aspirin....

however, out here in the desert, i feel the two groups get along fairly well, there are a few complaints, mostly from the minority group over some issues with shared/overlapping ranges where the majority gets priority (like ipsc bullets bouncing off steel and landing on the 200yd HP firing line) But mostly all the work the practical guys on the board are doing to keep our club(s) running is keeping the club running for bullseye, international, air, high power and NRA smallbore as well, even as the various precision disciplines are having trouble getting someone to step up and volunteer to run the divisions.

it does not HAVE to be "us vs them"!

Often clubs have to beg and plead to get anyone to do anything (I disagree with the 5%/95% comment above, its more like 2% do 98% of the work) and the doers all end up respecting each other.... so make sure every precision discipline has got volunteers doing stuff for the club as a whole!

good luck getting things sorted out.

Poole