"Ways of the Rifle" question

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

smhagger

"Ways of the Rifle" question

Post by smhagger »

I purchased this outstanding book quite some time ago and have been greatly pleased with the material contained in the book. The attention to detail of the shooting process and how to improve it (or how others have had success) has been a great benefit to me as it has (I'm sure) many of you. I have a couple of questions related to this book that I hope some of you can answer.

First, is there any way for me to get a copy of this book in .pdf format (in English)? With the advent of modern technology (ie, Pocket PCs, etc), I have found it greatly useful to bring documents with me whereever I go, on my Pocket PC in .pdf format. I'm suspecting that this is currently not available but am wondering if anyone knows otherwise or if someone can tell me how to contact the authors directly to request this from them.

Next, throughout the book the authors reference a training video that they have done (I believe it was aimed towards air rifle). Does anyone know how or where a copy can be purchased? Is this video in German only and if so, is there any value to a non-german speaking individual contained in this video?

Finally, the authors reference another volume (and perhaps even starting a periodical if I remember correctly) to be "coming soon". Does anyone have an update on how that is coming or when it can be expected (in English)?

Thanks in advance,

Sean[/i]
mark

Check out MEC web site.

Post by mark »

The aruthor has a web site that he uses to sell his wares. I.E. the "MEC tube" and MEC butt plate - www.mec-guns.com (I think). There is no mention on the site about any videos for sale. He has an e-mail link for questions and may point you in the right directions. Most likely all the videos would be in german.

mark
BM

Post by BM »

It's www.mec-shot.com and no, not the entire book, only some phrases.
topshot

Post by topshot »

They did some videos in the early 90s that were translated in English. Normally, the British NSRA has those type of things for sale so check their website.

I wouldn't count on Vol 2 for several years in English. They won't be working on anything like this during an Olympic year.
smhagger

Post by smhagger »

Thanks for the replies. I will follow up on the advice and post any useful findings here.

I'm obviously not in contention for an Olympic medal and wasn't thinking about the implications of the Olympics on releasing the next book. Oh well, maybe someday...

Thanks again,

Sean
Sanjay Singh

"Ways Of The Rifle" Authors Want Cheap Publicity

Post by Sanjay Singh »

Hi,
I've heard that Gaby is coming out with the 2009 version of her book "Ways of the Rifle" and it has the name of Beijing Olympic 10m rifle gold-medallist Abhinav Bindra (India) as one of the co-authors.
The book has been in circulation since 2002 and, in order to give it some more publicity, she has included the 'illustrious' name of Bindra so that it sells like hot cakes in India.

A cheap gimmick.
[/b]
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Topshot is right

The British NSRA have the book in English, so check them out, they may be willing to post to India. Edinkillie Sports Services also have the book but they won't post out side of Europe.

Peepsight
robf

Re: "Ways Of The Rifle" Authors Want Cheap Publici

Post by robf »

Sanjay Singh wrote:
A cheap gimmick.
Or, just a way of making the reach of an excellent book wider. It's not like it's full of crap...

If India has a new shooting superstar, then why not endorse a good product?

I suppose you've read it and assessed the contributions from him?

Post by Guest »

It is an excellent book. I also appreciate the amount of hard work it took to originally write. Certainly adding more insight from another shooter, and updating the book is effort well spent. I can't see it as a gimmick.
joydeepk

Post by joydeepk »

This wonderful gimmick has just grown from better to best :) the Indian version(as it is called in India) contains some 2000 pics! and some 300 odd pages of high quality shooting 'gimmick'! I've gone thru the book and I found it quite knowledge bearing. By the way,Abhinav Bindra is perhaps one of the best technical shooter in the world and his inputs can just ornament the book further,
cheers
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Could you explain to us all what you mean by 'gimmick' because i think you are being disrespectful to one of the best books ever written on rifle shooting. The book was first published in German and the English edition was translated by Bill Murray.
xcrunner8k

Post by xcrunner8k »

the book with bindra all over it is Air Rifle Shooting.

don't anyone forget that gaby is bindra's coach. i'm not sure why anyone would think that showing the best shooter in the world in a reference book about shooting would be a scam to sell more books. would you be inclined to read a reference book about formula one racing written by a taxi driver?

look at the team that contributed to the book anyway. gaby, maik, heinz, the whole crew are masters of shooting and coaching.

i think joydeepk was being sarcastic :P
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

peepsight wrote:Could you explain to us all what you mean by 'gimmick' because i think you are being disrespectful to one of the best books ever written on rifle shooting. The book was first published in German and the English edition was translated by Bill Murray.
I have the older version, and I was impressed how well the book is translated. I like it on many levels. It is an excellent contribution to the shooting community. Ter
joydeepk

Post by joydeepk »

Sorry if i was not able put my 'sarcasm',in a clearer way! apologies to all,but the 'gimmick' was perhaps the worst review i could have digested about the book,by the way i was under smallbore training under gaby and heinze at the time of the book release in india..... no hard feelings ,cheers