WTB: RH precision stock for Anschutz Match 54

Feel free to post for sale items as long as they are directly related to International type shooting
If you sell something, we would very much appreciate a donation of $5-10 either mailed to us or paypalled to us.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
Feel free to post for sale items as long as they are directly related to International type shooting
If you sell something, we would very much appreciate a donation of $5-10 either mailed to us or paypalled to us.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
GWFH

WTB: RH precision stock for Anschutz Match 54

Post by GWFH »

Hello, I have an older Match 54 ('72) that I'm looking for a replacement stock for that is has more adjustability for precision 3P.
I'm newer to this game and not 100% on all options, but something along lines of 1913, 1918, maybe 1907.

Feel free to message any pics to 7l6-48l-O539.

Thanks,
Pat
aalbert

Re: WTB: RH precision stock for Anschutz Match 54

Post by aalbert »

Two kinds of stocks from the factory that you will find

1918 Precise - this is along the current line that Anschutz is selling. Stock is machined from billet etc, and uses 15mm rods for the buttplate. Cheekpiece is more adjustable than the older units, as well as a few other differences.

2213 - This is a casting, with some machining, and uses 12mm rods for the buttplate. With a little bit of work in fitting an alternate cheekpiece, these can be modernized, etc. Grip is more adjustable on this model (can be easily canted). This was superseded by the 1918 Precise stock.

1907 and and 1913 refer more to the newer actions, with a lighter / heavier barrel respectively.

Anyway, hope the above helps with your search terms etc. in finding a stock.
GWFH

Post by GWFH »

That’s very helpful, thank you.

Ideally, I’d buy the 1918 precise, but I’m trying to decide if the smart investment is to go this route, or save up for new rifle altogether.
I feel ahead of the game getting the rifle I have for $500 with sights, and it’s a proven shooter.
But it’s still a 50 yr old gun. If I can find used it’s the way I’ll probably go. New price I’ll have to do some deciding.
Appreciate the help
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

I'd add that there is a 1907 stock, several patterns actually. Anschutz confused matters somewhat by marking all 26in/66cm barrels as "Mod. 1907" regardless of what stock it was shipped with.

Back on topic, what's the intended use: 3-P or just Prone? The 1907 is a basic 3-P design, and while it can be shot prone (and successfully) the deep tapered fore-end isn't ideal; the rifle sits quite high, and moving the handstop further affects height on target. Most prone shooters favour a shallower stock that's parallel (or tapers only slightly).

In terms of adjustment, later 1907 stocks (made in the 2000s) have the same cheekpiece and butt hardware as a 2213 or contemporary 1913, older 1907s have very limited adjustment. The cheekpiece and butt have to be packed with shims; it's really a one-time job, and not intended for quick changes on the range.
Randall

Post by Randall »

I'm nobody's expert, and it's been a very long time since I shot 3P. But, I'm in a similar position as you are...just a step ahead. I, too, have a '72 Match 54 (1413) that I wanted to try in a more modern stock. After far too many contradictory answers about currently available stocks that might or might not work with an antique 54, I settled on the Anschutz 1918 Precise.

Anschutz say that to use that action in the 1918 stock, a trigger change is necessary--you supposedly "must" upgrade to the newest safety (for more than $600). The stock clearance cut-outs are different for the new safety versus the old bolt 'wing' affair. Other than that, the old Match 54 action drops right into the 1918 chassis. I'm in the process of cutting a small bevel into the stock to accommodate the old style safety. So, that looks like a valid option.

Randall
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Randall wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 4:17 pm I'm nobody's expert, and it's been a very long time since I shot 3P. But, I'm in a similar position as you are...just a step ahead. I, too, have a '72 Match 54 (1413) that I wanted to try in a more modern stock. After far too many contradictory answers about currently available stocks that might or might not work with an antique 54, I settled on the Anschutz 1918 Precise.

Anschutz say that to use that action in the 1918 stock, a trigger change is necessary--you supposedly "must" upgrade to the newest safety (for more than $600). The stock clearance cut-outs are different for the new safety versus the old bolt 'wing' affair. Other than that, the old Match 54 action drops right into the 1918 chassis. I'm in the process of cutting a small bevel into the stock to accommodate the old style safety. So, that looks like a valid option.

Randall
Randall,

I think someone was misinformed. No change in trigger should be required to put an older 54 in a 1918. Yes, the 1918 will not allow the old bolt-mounted safety to be engaged (without modification), but safety catches are never used in formal target shooting, so it's a non-issue. Plenty of 14xx 54s have been put into 1918, 2213, System Gemini, and other alu stocks just fine.

The current 5018 trigger is unlikely to function properly with a pre-1980 bolt anyway; it would over-compress the spring, effectively becoming cock on close, and unpleasant to use. If you could find a 1600 pattern catch, you could swap this over, creating a homemade 5071-1 trigger.
GWFH

Post by GWFH »

Tim S wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:50 pm I'd add that there is a 1907 stock, several patterns actually. Anschutz confused matters somewhat by marking all 26in/66cm barrels as "Mod. 1907" regardless of what stock it was shipped with.

Back on topic, what's the intended use: 3-P or just Prone? The 1907 is a basic 3-P design, and while it can be shot prone (and successfully) the deep tapered fore-end isn't ideal; the rifle sits quite high, and moving the handstop further affects height on target. Most prone shooters favour a shallower stock that's parallel (or tapers only slightly).

In terms of adjustment, later 1907 stocks (made in the 2000s) have the same cheekpiece and butt hardware as a 2213 or contemporary 1913, older 1907s have very limited adjustment. The cheekpiece and butt have to be packed with shims; it's really a one-time job, and not intended for quick changes on the range.
Application will be 3P
The price point of the 1907 had my eye, because I’m not sure how competitive my daughter will get into smallbore overall. She’s 13, and invested in her varsity precision air and club, but smallbore is something we will struggle to find regular shooting time and competitions.
Our primary shooting sport is archery, and do a lot of traveling for that nationally.
Now is a good time to introduce smallbore if she pursues rifle, but the level of investment is a tough call right now.
Great info, thank you!
GWFH

Post by GWFH »

Tim S wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:46 pm
Randall wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 4:17 pm I'm nobody's expert, and it's been a very long time since I shot 3P. But, I'm in a similar position as you are...just a step ahead. I, too, have a '72 Match 54 (1413) that I wanted to try in a more modern stock. After far too many contradictory answers about currently available stocks that might or might not work with an antique 54, I settled on the Anschutz 1918 Precise.

Randall
Randall,

I think someone was misinformed. No change in trigger should be required to put an older 54 in a 1918. Yes, the 1918 will not allow the old bolt-mounted safety to be engaged (without modification), but safety catches are never used in formal target shooting, so it's a non-issue. Plenty of 14xx 54s have been put into 1918, 2213, System Gemini, and other alu stocks just fine.

The current 5018 trigger is unlikely to function properly with a pre-1980 bolt anyway; it would over-compress the spring, effectively becoming cock on close, and unpleasant to use. If you could find a 1600 pattern catch, you could swap this over, creating a homemade 5071-1 trigger.
Great info, thanks both!
aalbert

Post by aalbert »

If this is for your 13yr old daughter, who I assume isn't 6' and playing hockey, then the older action and barrel might be a bit heavy for her; at which point you would want to consider (as a frequently available option), a 1907 or 54.30 in a Precise stock. You might even need to venture outside of the Anschutz family into Walther, etc. to accommodate her if she is extra petite.

Another thing if jumping into 3p, is that if you can find somebody getting out you can often get a more complete set of equipment (2-3 buttplates, 2-3 sets of sights, etc), to make the 3p experience more complete.
Nickster

Post by Nickster »

Some barrels on the Mod 54s are lighter than others, so she may not be able to handle it no matter what stock you get. If she can, then I would suggest a 1807 stock. They're narrower and lighter than just about everything else out there.They would be cheaper and your barrelled action would drop in with only inletting of the wing safety. They are the typical 3P stocks that Anschutz made for decades. I won a rifle league many times with an 1807. The only spacers you usually need to change is the butt plate and you can change them in a minute or two. Plus in 3P you can't shoot with a palm rest but your 1807 stock has a taper that does the same thing. The 1907 stock does change a little easier but that metal adjustment hardware also adds weight.

If you have a heavy barrelled action you may want to look for something lighter to start with. Yours may bring pretty good money on this site or others. Good luck to you and her both.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Nickster wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:43 pm Some barrels on the Mod 54s are lighter than others, so she may not be able to handle it no matter what stock you get. If she can, then I would suggest a 1807 stock.... They are the typical 3P stocks that Anschutz made for decades.
Yes and no. Anschutz have made Match 54s with lighter barrels from the get go. The 1408/1407 barrel is near enough identical to a 1907. However, Anschutz did not make the 1807 for decades, in fact not even for a single decade, just 1980-1987.

To the OP, if your 1972 54 is a lightweight model (Google images of 1407s to compare), and your daughter isn't totally enthused by smallbore yet, why not stick with the rifle as is? Yes, it will be basic compared to a newer rifle, but not so bad that she can't learn. Then when the stock is the limiting factor, that's the time to upgrade.
Nickster

Post by Nickster »

I meant they are the typical 3P International stock, with the angled forend, they have been making for decades. This would include the Match 54, the 1807 and newer 1907 and newer. So is that decades or what. I suggested the 1807 because it has both cheek and buttstock adjustments, albeit simple design, and still maintain the light weight, and would be cheaper than anything after it.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Nickster,

I see what you mean, but that's not what you wrote.

That aside, yes 1807s are fairly light as the fore-end is extensively hollowed out. However, if the OP has a 1972 1407 is an 1807 worth the upgrade? An 1807 offers some improvements over, but these aren't huge, and maybe not worth the cost yet. A 1407 will also have a tapered fore-end, just slightly more rounded than an 1807. A 1407 has the same height-adjustable buttplate (literally the same parts). The 1807's cheekpiece can be raised with shims, but IMO it's not quicker or easier than taping card, or sticky-back cork, to a 1407. The 1807 was just not designed to be adjusted in position like a contemporary Free Rifle; this was specifically not allowed in Standard Rifle matches.

If the OP has a 1411, then an 1807 would be a better choice for a 13yp 3P shooter, but so would a 1407, 1607, or a 1907.
Randall

Post by Randall »

As I mentioned, there is more misinformation about upgrading the Match 54 than I've seen in just about anything.
FYI, directly from Anschutz:

Does a Match 54 or 1413 Match-KK-Barreled action fit into a 1918 Precise aluminum stock?
October 2021
The answer can generally be in the affirmative, but the following points must be considered in advance:

If the KK-Barreled action still has the trigger 1407-U9 (black housing), it must be replaced with the trigger 5018 (order no. 001205). To do this, small adjustments must also be made to the trigger . It should also be noted that the sash lock on the match lock is out of function, as the sash lock can no longer be set to "safe" mode. The trigger 5018 has a trigger safety so that there is a rifle safety in this configuration.

https://www.anschuetz-sport.com/en/pass ... iumschaft/
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Randall,

Thank you. I wonder how the original German test reads? In English "must be replaced" can only mean that replacement is non-optional. This is plainly nonsense. Did the original read that the trigger "should" be replaced to retain the facility of applying the safety or is it just an attempt to sell more replacement triggers? Again, when is a safety actually required on a single shot target rifle?
Randall

Post by Randall »

In the original German, it says, "must." Wenn sich am KK-System noch der Abzug 1407-U9 (schwarzes Gehäuse) befindet, muss dieser gegen den Abzug 5018 (Bestell-Nr. 001205) ausgetauscht werden.

I suspect it has more to do with some kind legal liability than engineering.