ISSF Center Fire Pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
K38

ISSF Center Fire Pistol

Post by K38 »

1) Do most competitors use a center hold for this event or switch between sub six for precision and center for rapid?

2) Is the target for rapid (Duel) the one with the white bars or the plain one with just black?

Thanks,

DLB
Azmodan

Re: ISSF Center Fire Pistol

Post by Azmodan »

1) as far as i know, most competitors switch between sub 6 hold for precision and center hold for duel (rapid)
2) the target for duel (rapid) is the same one as rapid fire and sport pistol (black with 2 horizontal white bars in the middle)
Airpistol: Feinwerkbau 100 / Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Walther GSP 22
CFP: Walther GSP 32
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
David M

Post by David M »

Sub 6 hold for precission and low centre hold for rapid, bottom teh ring (white bars visable just above rear sight).
K38

Post by K38 »

So just count clicks and keep a careful record. Makes sense. All I have is a revolver but It should work if I ever get a chance at it.

Thanks Folks,

DLB
David M

Post by David M »

One of the first jobs with any gun is to take a Dremel Diamond engraving bit and put a witness dot (0.5mm Diameter) on every sight screw
along with a bit of white paint.
Then write down a sight reference (along with a drawing of screw mark), usually full down and full right plus any other adjustments ie full closed.
Then each sight/match/event/ammo/load/brand setting is written in my range book for future reference.
It allows me to if needed remove a sight from a gun and re-install to very close to the correct settings or if I have forgotten where my sight were last time to re-set them.
merlin32

Post by merlin32 »

I always make sure I set the sight back to sub 6 hold whenever I put the gun away, so if you get into the habit, you shouldn't get confused. I wrote down how many clicks and what direction to change, so I don't forget

I like the idea of a witness dot, might do that
K38

Post by K38 »

I was working on it today. I suppose it’s a fairly pedestrian pistol but it’s one I had built up. A Smith and Wesson Model 15-3 with a 6” barrel from a Model 14. A Bomar revolver rib with a Single Action Only Target trigger and Target hammer tuned up by Allen Tanaka. I should probably file down the front sight a bit but the rear sight does go up high enough to allow a good sub six hold.

Probably just foolishness as I will never get to shoot a match but I enjoyed it anyway. It fits in the 300x150x50 box just fine(yes my nerdiness extends to having made an ISSF box.)

One must find art where you can.

DLB
FWB_700_Alu

Post by FWB_700_Alu »

I shoot center hold (fleck) for both targets.
lyoke3

Post by lyoke3 »

K38,

I am working on a Model 15 with 4in barrel for CF. I thought about having some work done to it but I'll only shoot a INTL CF match once a year. In the meantime it is a ton of fun to shoot. Sounds like you have a real shooter. Glad there are others on this same route.

Lake
New account - locked out of previous account "lyoke2"
K38

Post by K38 »

I think I am going to try center hold for both. I put some Creedmore Coal Flat Black sight paint on my front and back sights. It may help or it may be better to have a flat white front sight. Certainly cheap to experiment and I'm the only one keeping score. I can get the rear sight up high enough to get a sub six hold and put the shots in the center of the target but it looks really precarious. As I said it's pie in the sky anyway. It keeps my mind busy and the gun was a nice project. Spending 3 grand on a .32 Pardini is a bit much at the moment. Having a 4" barrel with its shorter sight radius may help if you do decide to change your sights. I do enjoy the nice clean holes from .38 HBWC bullets anyway.

My next goal is to maybe get the range where I shoot to have a pistol league one night a week. It seems mostly populated by folks banging away with 9mm or .223 at 5 yards, but if it keeps the place open I'm OK with it. I'm in there with my weird shooting glasses with iris so I can see my sights and they all probably think I'm from the Borg.

Onward Into The Fog,

DLB