IZH 46

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Dave4321

IZH 46

Post by Dave4321 »

I have an IZH 46 that has been in my closet, in the original box, for over 14 years. I now want to shoot the pistol and perhaps sell it but need to know specifically what I need to do prior to cocking it. I cannot, in good conscience, sell a gun that does not fire.

As I am a mechanical idiot, detailedinstructions would be appreciated as well as brand lubricants required to bring it back from the dead. Any help is welcome. Thanks a bunch!
Gwhite

Re: IZH 46

Post by Gwhite »

Depends on the storage environment, but if it was stored closed up and not too hot, it is likely to be OK.

I'd start with a drop of air tool oil (available in small bottle for ~ $5 from most large home stores like Home Depot) down the hole under the breech lever. That goes down into the firing valve area. Park the pistol with the muzzle pointed down at an angle for an hour or two to let the oil works its way into the valve.

Next, add a drop or two of oil to the cocking piston head. Flip it over, and open the cocking lever all the way, and you should see the black rubber piston. Work the lever back & forth a bit, and then see if it will cock & hold air. It will probably be fine.
Dave4321

Re: IZH 46

Post by Dave4321 »

Gwhite, Thanks for the reply. The gun has lived on the top shelf of a ventilated closet in an air conditioned home in Melbourne, FL underneath Crosman 2300 S & T boxes. I pulled it down today and the pistol is still wrapped in that ‘funny’ paper the Russians use around pistols. It is an IZH 46M and has all the manuals that I used to locate the places you advised need lubrication. Already had the oil from my air tool days. After I oil it, I’ll let it sit a bit before I try to cock it. The manual says it can be dry fired so I’ll see what happens. Thanks again! Dave B