Diana 65

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Redfeather

Diana 65

Post by Redfeather »

Hello folks,
I have recently received my diana 65 back from being rebuilt and resealed.
I'm wondering if there are better sites to be had for this old girl. I have the original sites it came with but would like to improve my shooting. There is a small lense (I'm guessing .5x as there is some magnification). I also used a lollipop insert from my hw 30 and as I do like it for Bell target, it lacks in 10m shooting. Ultimately I'd like to get newer modern sites ,but I'm in no way educated in diopter and globe sites.
If someone would help kd really appreciate it.
PM me if you have any suggestions.

Rich
Tim S

Re: Diana 65

Post by Tim S »

Redfeather,

If the foresight tunnel is a standard size you could order a selection of new aperture inserts. I believe Diana used the common 18mm/Anschutz size in the late '80s, but don't know if that's what your 65 has. If it has the 16mm tunnel that Walther and FWB used for many years, inserts will be harder to find, possibly only available second hand.

If the rearsight adjusts correctly, an iris eyepiece would let you control the brightness. Again, I don't know if your 65 has the common 9.5x1mm thread everyone uses today.
Last edited by Tim S on Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
justadude

Re: Diana 65

Post by justadude »

Redfeather,

Tim has pretty well covered the possible options with the front sight inserts (apertures).

I suppose a 'next question' would hinge on whether you want to replace elements or the whole sight(s).

These days, Anschutz, Walther and Feinwerkbau all have different front sight mounting dovetails. If you wanted a whole new front sight, perhaps one of those would be a match for your Diana. Some pictures of the mounting dovetail with a small metric ruler might solicit some comments and ideas.

For the rear sight, the big three all use an 11mm dovetail. Although there are some small differences in the dovetails, rear sights will generally interchange across the major brands.

Gehmann does have a line of sights and accessories that will not leave you completely breathless. Centra has stuff that is nice but can leave you kind of breathless.

'dude