Boston Area Airgun range/league/coach?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
CuH

Boston Area Airgun range/league/coach?

Post by CuH »

I shoot both 10m air pistol and air rifle, and will be moving to Boston for work. I will likely be able to get some access to the MIT pistol range during 1-2 weekday nights as I went to school there and used to shoot with some of their clubs. There is also a public airgun place call New England airgun where I can train air pistol.
However, I am still in search of a place to shoot air rifle, ideally with Etarget or electronic target changing system. I am mostly shooting 9s and 10s for air rifle so I only put 3 shots in each paper target. It would be much more convenient if I can change targets without having to move my feet each time (or use a Etarget without the need to change targets). I am willing to invest in my own Etarget but will also need to find a club that will allow me to place the target down the range every time I go to practice.
In addition, I am serious about the sport and compete in national matches. However, I’ve been training without a coach all these years, so if there is any coach in the Boston area who would be willing to coach a young adult airgun shooter, please let me know.
Gwhite

Re: Boston Area Airgun range/league/coach?

Post by Gwhite »

None of the local clubs have electronic targets for individual use. They reserve them for matches and junior team practices because they have to set them up in ranges meant for .22 shooting. Without a dedicated air gun range, changing targets can be a bit of a hassle at most clubs. MIT may be your best bet. Their target system allows you to shoot at 10 meters & change targets while everyone else is shooting at 50 feet. It's mostly pistol.

There are plenty of clubs in the area, and a couple hold regular air pistol matches. Air rifle matches are scarcer. North of Boston, there is Woburn Sportsmens Association (which is actually in Bedford), and Mass Rifle Association in Woburn used to hold matches as well. To the south there is Maspenock Rod & Gun. They used to hold mixed matches, with both rifle & pistol.
CuH

Re: Boston Area Airgun range/league/coach?

Post by CuH »

Thank you so much for the pointers. I will look into these options.