U.S. SMALLBORE TEAM QUALIFIES FOR OLYMPIC GAMES PARIS 2024

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

USA Shooting

Post by USA Shooting »

By Brittany Nelson, USAS Public Relations & Communications Manager

COLO SPRGS, CO (March 26, 2024) – Five athletes, Mary Tucker, Sagen Maddalena, Ivan Roe, Katelyn Abeln, and Keith Sanderson, qualified in smallbore events for the Olympic Games Paris 2024 after the conclusion of U.S. Olympic Trials- Shooting Smallbore Part Three in Fort Moore, Georgia.

L to R: Mary Tucker, Sagen Maddalena, and Ivan Roe qualified in smallbore rifle for the Olympic Games Paris 2024. Photo by SFC Kulani Lakanari
Tucker, an Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 silver medalist, qualified for Paris in women’s 50-meter smallbore rifle in addition to the qualification in women’s 10-meter air rifle she earned back in January. Tucker, a Sarasota, Florida, native, was most recently crowned the 2024 NCAA 50-meter smallbore Rifle champion. She is also the 2023 Pan American Games women’s 10-meter air rifle champion, just one achievement among her impressive 20 plus international medals.

“I’m proud of the work put into these Trials and happy that they’re over,” said Tucker. “I (am) even happier I get to shoot all events in Paris. The last months have been a lot and I’m exhausted, but I am looking forward to the events coming up.”

Maddalena, a Tokyo 2020 Olympian, also qualified in women’s 50-meter smallbore rifle in addition to women’s 10-meter air rifle for Paris. Maddalena, a sergeant in the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit, placed fifth in women’s 50-meter smallbore rifle at the 2020 Olympic Games. The Groveland, California, native is the 2023 Pan American Games champion in women’s 10-meter air rifle and helped the women’s 50-meter rifle smallbore team earn gold at the 2023 World Championship.

Roe, a Manhattan, Montana, native, joins Maddalena and Tucker as a double qualifier. This past week he qualified for men’s 50-meter smalbore rifle, adding to his qualification in men’s 10-meter air rifle. Roe, a sergeant in the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit, is the 2022 CAT Games champion in men’s 50-meter smallbore rifle. Roe competed in the 2020 U.S. Olympic Trials, but fell short of qualifying for the team. He will be making his Olympic debut in Paris.

“It has been a long road full of highs and lows but one committed to the process and I’m finally seeing the results I’ve dreamed of for so long,” said Roe, a 2023 World Championship team member. “I know I wouldn’t have ever made it this far if it weren’t for my family and wife to support me every step of the way. Nor would I have been able to continue shooting if every coach I’ve ever had hadn’t taken a chance on an undeveloped shooter and given me the resources and support I needed to excel. For that I’m eternally grateful.”

Katelyn Abeln one of the five smallbore athletes who qualified for Paris 2024. Photo by Joshua Schave
Abeln will also be making her Olympic debut in Paris. Abeln, a Douglasville, Georgia, native, qualified in women’s 25-meter sport pistol this past week. She also qualified in women’s 10-meter air pistol in January. Abeln currently shoots for The Ohio State University and was on the 2023 World Championship team.

Sanderson qualified in men’s rapid fire pistol for Paris 2024. Sanderson, of Monument Colorado, is a three-time Olympian (2008, 2012, 2016), and served in the U.S. Marine Corps and the U.S. Army. Sanderson was on the 2023 Pan American Games team as well as the 2023 World Championship team.

Keith Sanderson is one of the five smallbore athletes who qualified for the Olympic Games Paris 2024. Photo by Brittany Nelson
View official results here. View photos here.

This concludes the U.S. Olympic Team Trials for shooting. In January, five air gun athletes qualified, read more here, and earlier this month eight shotgun athletes qualified, read more here.

USA Shooting rifle and pistol athletes are headed to the 2024 Championship of the America (CAT) Games in the hopes of earning the remaining U.S. Olympic quotas needed for shooting. If an athlete earns a quota for the U.S., another athlete can qualify for Paris in the corresponding event based on their performance at U.S. Olympic Trials. The CAT Games will be held in Buenos, Aires, Argentina, March 31- April 8.

The U.S. Paralympic Trials- Shooting Part Three, are coming up April 21-28 in Talladega and Anniston, Alabama. This is the final Trials event for the Paralympic team.

Follow @USAShooting Follow @USAShooting on Facebook and Instagram for all updates on the team’s road to Paris.