Electronic Target for home use?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
K38

Electronic Target for home use?

Post by K38 »

Are there electronic targets available for home use that blue tooth or WiFi to your ‘phone or laptop? The sights that I find are not that helpful. They want to contact you for an estimate (this means$$$$$$ perhaps)

Thanks!

DLB
Th.

Re: Electronic Target for home use?

Post by Th. »

lyoke3

Post by lyoke3 »

The Free-E-Target is going to be your best bet on the price side of things. It is an open source project that you can build yourself or buy the kit. You will find quite a few reviews on here and they have a Facebook group with a community to answer questions.

https://free-e-target.com/

Or there is the Athena target system: https://www.scopos.tech/athena

These two are are the less expensive end of home electronic systems. Used SIUS and Megalink targets do show up here every once in a while in the classifieds.
New account - locked out of previous account "lyoke2"
thirdwheel

Post by thirdwheel »

+1 for freetarget, it is super for what you want, shot thousands of pellets at mine over the last three years, apart from the electronics I made mine myself but there are kits available.
K38

Post by K38 »

Wow!

Thanks guys! I think I can do the My Free E target. I'm a ham (N5WRW) and a moderately bad carpenter. So I can solder wires and saw wood various bits of wood. I will give that a try

Thanks again!

DLB
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

here is a video on how i built my freETarget: https://youtu.be/HabnXBLENt8

also a video on the PC client software features and operation: https://youtu.be/1FxnmmkABp4
Airpistol: Feinwerkbau 100 / Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Walther GSP 22
CFP: Walther GSP 32
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
thirdwheel

Post by thirdwheel »

Sounds like you have the skills needed, read everything on the website, and analyse all of the different aspects and come up with your own plan, my first target morphed three times as I used it and found better ways of doing things - LED lighting, mounting on a speaker stand, pellet catcher, making it easy to transport to my club, 12v power for the LED, electronics and witness drive motor when I went from USB connected to WIFI, and I'm still evolving it. Very happy with it, best of all it is very accurate, few wobbles ( very minor) but way good enough for home and the club.
Norgi

Post by Norgi »

Do any of you know any option to buy FreETarget in Europe? If I order it from the US it will cost me nearly the same as a factory Seta.
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

really? a full freetarget is 550$ (that's ~500 euros). a seta is 1300 euros (inband is 1250 euros). how much is the shipping from the US?
Norgi wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:37 pm Do any of you know any option to buy FreETarget in Europe? If I order it from the US it will cost me nearly the same as a factory Seta.
Grippy

Post by Grippy »

I was curious. If I put it in the cart it adds 95$ shipping. Then once it arrives in some European country they will add at least the local VAT (about 20%) + some handling fees, currency conversion isn't optimal either etc.

If I planned to buy one of these I'd estimate the final cost to some place in Europe around 750-800 euro.

I guess that's still cheaper. But when considering that I'm basically getting a DIY product with no local service or practical warranty... that certainly makes the commercial solutions look more sensible at about 50% more.

To the original question. I use a Sius HS10 at home. It doesn't do wireless but it's connected to a windows PC via a USB dongle. It's a bit on the pricier end but has served me well.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

If the goal is to learn to shoot better, I think you get more bang (pop?) for your buck with an electronic trainer. Electronic targets are very nice, but walking 10m to change a target isn't that much of a burden. You can live fire with an electronic trainer, and not only see where your shots went, but how they got there. I have a Noptel system, and depending on how good my sighter series is, the holes in the paper don't exactly match where they are on the screen, but they are pretty close. I think the newer SCATT systems are a bit better in that regard. The additional information on your wobble, shot timing, follow-through etc. will tell you what you should work on while training. Depending on the model, a SCATT costs significant less than the higher end commercial E-targets. The SCATT Basic is only a bit more than a FreETarget, depending on where you are & how much work you want to put into assembling the thing.
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

Gwhite wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:03 am If the goal is to learn to shoot better, I think you get more bang (pop?) for your buck with an electronic trainer. Electronic targets are very nice, but walking 10m to change a target isn't that much of a burden. You can live fire with an electronic trainer, and not only see where your shots went, but how they got there. I have a Noptel system, and depending on how good my sighter series is, the holes in the paper don't exactly match where they are on the screen, but they are pretty close. I think the newer SCATT systems are a bit better in that regard. The additional information on your wobble, shot timing, follow-through etc. will tell you what you should work on while training. Depending on the model, a SCATT costs significant less than the higher end commercial E-targets. The SCATT Basic is only a bit more than a FreETarget, depending on where you are & how much work you want to put into assembling the thing.
yes, with the caveat that, with electronic trainers, you need a coach - someone knowledgeable in the area. those stats don;t explain much and you certainly don;t know how to train for the deficiencies shown by the trainer (on your own).
i have a Trace10 that doesn;t show too many stats (don;t know is SCATT Basic shows more) but, since i don;t and never had a coach, i cannot make much sense of the stuff on screen.
Dmaryakh

Post by Dmaryakh »

If your budget allows it and you are looking for something a bit more advanced and flexible - check our the target from SportQuantum

https://sportshootingdepot.com/product/sq10/

Currently the best, most advanced and future proof target on the market. NO CONSUMABLES.
Norgi

Post by Norgi »

Azmodan wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:01 am really? a full freetarget is 550$ (that's ~500 euros). a seta is 1300 euros (inband is 1250 euros). how much is the shipping from the US?
Norgi wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:37 pm Do any of you know any option to buy FreETarget in Europe? If I order it from the US it will cost me nearly the same as a factory Seta.
shipping is not the biggest cost for me. The cost for the competition target version is 549 USD + *A one-time handling fee of USD $95.00 will be added to your shipping total at checkout. I guess this one time handling fee is the shipping cost. -> Standard Shipping (USD $95.00)

So in total 644 USD. If you order it from the US the duty will be around 12% in Hungary. So we are now around 721 USD. Here comes the blackwater, on top of it you must pay the general tax also, which is 27% in Hungary. The sum now is: 916 USD. Also, at least 25 euros for the parcel company to handle the official paperwork....

941 USD compared to Seta with a pellet catcher and warranty.

For me without a European warehouse is not a straightforward choice.
Norgi

Post by Norgi »

Dmaryakh wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:28 pm If your budget allows it and you are looking for something a bit more advanced and flexible - check our the target from SportQuantum

https://sportshootingdepot.com/product/sq10/

Currently the best, most advanced and future proof target on the market. NO CONSUMABLES.
I like it, we have two in the local range. But as I know it is way over 2000 EUR... :(
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

man... u have high taxes in Hungary. Orban is really up to something :)

didn;t notice that seta ships with included pellet trap at 1300euros. for inband you have to buy it separately (+170euro). that makes seta quite attractive

unfortunately, there is no european warehouse (and i don;t think there will ever be) since this is a open source project, not a commercial company. and the boards + target kits are made privately by Allan
Norgi wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:19 pm
shipping is not the biggest cost for me. The cost for the competition target version is 549 USD + *A one-time handling fee of USD $95.00 will be added to your shipping total at checkout. I guess this one time handling fee is the shipping cost. -> Standard Shipping (USD $95.00)

So in total 644 USD. If you order it from the US the duty will be around 12% in Hungary. So we are now around 721 USD. Here comes the blackwater, on top of it you must pay the general tax also, which is 27% in Hungary. The sum now is: 916 USD. Also, at least 25 euros for the parcel company to handle the official paperwork....

941 USD compared to Seta with a pellet catcher and warranty.

For me without a European warehouse is not a straightforward choice.
thirdwheel

Post by thirdwheel »

Or just buy the electronics and make the "box" yourself from offcuts of wood, the whole cost then comes down massively for you, and making the structure yourself is about at the practical skill level I would expect from my year 9 secondary school students (13-14 years old) using hand tools. Making stuff for yourself is fun too the only critical bit is getting the microphones correctly spaced, there are lots of examples of home made examples to look at on the facebook page and the website, to help you to visualise what you have to achieve, and if it does not go well at first you can change it and improve it.

Good luck