Steyr compensators

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
VonKasta

Steyr compensators

Post by VonKasta »

I have been eyeing the smexy 8 duct compensator Steyr released with the evo 10 pistol for some time, curious if there is any benefits to it.
Had to order a few other things and figured I might as well.. Surely the performance enhancing qualities would cure my trigger freeze once and for all?

Now, I have an old LP1 and its a bit different from the Evo, or maybe its the other way around. Anyway, it does come with a ’steyr compensator’ as advertised in bold letters on the barrel shroud so the performance enhancing 8 duct marvel is a straight drop in.
Kinda.
The Lp1 shroud is about 20mm longer than the Evo, the barrel isnt. Naturally, the old inferior ductless compensator is adapted to bridge this gap.
The Lp1 shroud is also missing the vents around the compensator compared to the Evo, instead sporting two ports located on each side of the sight post.
Here is a couple pictures showing the differances between the two comps:
IMG_2024-03-16-214845.jpeg
IMG_2024-03-16-214920.jpeg
My range doesnt have a vice for testing, so I came prepared:
IMG_2024-03-16-214715.jpeg
With my makeshift rig I got off a few strings of 10 shots to try it out, it provided a somewhat scattered group but after a couple strings it settled in and provided somewhat trustworthy groups, or at least groups looking like groups from, well, other makeshift test rigs from the past.
First sample string of 10 shots from the old inferior ductless comp:
IMG_2024-03-16-214818.jpeg
Dropped in the performance enhancing 8 duct comp fully expecting a terrible group due the reasons mentioned above.
Shot a throwaway 10 string to let the rig settle, got one flier but it started to group.
Did another sample 10 string that looked like this:
IMG_2024-03-16-214800.jpeg
At least its not worse, if anything a tad but better. Given the stability of my rig, Id call it a draw.
A bit surprising as the comp isnt designed for my Lp1 and sits way out of allignment a good 20mm in front of the muzzle, missing the vents from the Evo shroud.
I didnt think about it at the time, but I should have shot some strings uncompensated just to see if there was any differance.
Cant really say there is any differance in muzzle rise either, if the sight moves its me jerking the trigger.

Im sure there’s a differance between compensated and uncompensated, but the design doesnt seem to matter much.

They dont help with trigger freeze either.

Maybe weighting pellets and adjust velocity is the cure?
10m: Steyr Lp1
25m: Morini CM22RF
CF: Benelli MP90s 32WC
50m: Toz35/Vostok mu 2-3
m1963

Steyr compensators

Post by m1963 »

Excellent review. Thank you!
Gwelo

Re: Steyr compensators

Post by Gwelo »

I put one on my LP50 a couple years ago. Never felt the need to test the accuracy as it still shot great and looks way cooler!
Thanks for the confirmation!