Pellet testing

A place to discuss specific issues with the new SASP disciplines

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

SPPcoach

Pellet testing

Post by SPPcoach »

Pellet testing . . . one of Rovers favorite subject.
There are a lot of conversations that talk about shooting sports and how they are affected because they are part of youth shooting programs.

Lead is ALWAYS a concern. If it is not then you are not aware of its potential negative impact, and have not read enough on the subject. That does not mean we run around like chicken little and scream that "the sky is falling."
Lead issues must be managed. That means teach awareness, wash your hands when done with the activity and read SOPs from well run facilities.

Conversationally the question frequently comes up about the pros and cons of using lead-free alternative pellets. I decided to do a semi-scientific test comparing the SigSauer wraith lead-free pellet compared to our 'standard' practice and competition pellet, the RWS Diablo Basic pellet.

1. Our 'beginner' air pistol is the Crosman 1701 PCP.
2. It was held in a 4" bench vise shown in the photo throughout the test from sighters thru the conclusion of the test ~30+ shots later.
3. The pistol muzzle was 9.2m from the target to simulate an adult male (me) shooting from a standing position, toeing the firing line.
4. The RWS pellet 10-shot series was shot first.
5. Second 10-shot series was with the Sig wraith lead-free pellets.

On our team athletes start with the Crosman and shoot supported, then standing with the NRA Foundation pellets. These are actually H&N pellets. When their scores are above a 400 shooting international standing they will 'graduate' to one of our Olympic quality team pistols.

When they shoot above a 500 in competition the team will 'graduate' them to RWS Diablo Basic pellets.

At 500 points the tenor shifts to 'you should get your own pistol' so they can customize their grip to their hand.

When they shoot over 550 in competition they will 'graduate' to RWS R10 pellets from the team.

CONCLUSIONS
1. Those alloy lead-free pellets were much worse than I expected in this sample of one pistols.
2. The Crosman 1701 really is a good beginner pistol for about $440.

NEXT TIME
1. I want to compare the NRA Foundation pellets to our RWS Diablo Basics from our Crosman pistols and from our Walther or Steyrs.
Attachments
20240222_121603.jpg
rmca

Re: Pellet testing

Post by rmca »

They are a bit lighter that the lightest lead pellets. 6.48gr vs 7gr (light) or 8.4gr (heavy)
Maybe a bit more speed is needed to stabilize them?
They also mention that they are 20% harder than the lead ones, so maybe they need to be a bit larger (4.51 or 4.52mm) to better grip the rifling and seal against the barrel?
I guess it's something that sooner or later we all will have to dive into...
Oldnslow

Post by Oldnslow »

Try H&N Match Green before you write lead-free pellets off.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I have never played with the non-lead pellets purely because I'm really cheap!

I would really like to see results from the H&N Match Green.

BTW I see absolutely nothing to be concerned about re: lead. Just wash your hands
occasionally, you filthy animal. (Do a search on here.)
kqrxbn

Post by kqrxbn »

I concur with Oldnslow regarding the Match Green pellets. I've shot tens of thousands of those through my LP 50 and I've never felt it was anything but my fault when the shot didn't hit where it should. I'm not an Olympic-level shooter (as is evidenced by the following statement) but I shot a 80-shot session outdoors at 25 metres with the LP 50 and the Match Green pellets. Max spread 131 mm, mean radius 34.0. With an SSP-E (probably shooting SK Pistol Match) I managed 170/39.7 over 70 shots on the same day.

Not taking into account that 25 metres is a bit longer than they're probably made for, that would equate to a mean radius of 13.6 mm and your shots should basically all land within the 9-ring. When testing them with the pistol in a vice—a setup wherein I can only manage a distance of 6 metres—20 shots formed a group the size of which I cannot remember but that comfortably fit inside the 10-ring (they all would have touched the X-ring). Maybe when it gets warmer I can redo the test over 10 metres, shooting out of my backyard shed …