Wow

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Tzed250

Wow

Post by Tzed250 »

I have not paid attention to Smallbore for nearly two decades, and I’m super surprised to learn about how the sport has changed.

I started shooting smallbore in 1977 as a teenager. I attended the 1978 and 1980 National Matches, and did a clinic at the OTC in 1979

IIRC there were over 500 competitors at Camp Perry each year for Smallbore.

I looked at last years results and saw that 30 people shot prone, and 20 people shot position.

I’m absolutely blown away at the drop in attendance.

I remember my times at Camp Perry with great fondness.
bdutton

Re: Wow

Post by bdutton »

Tzed250 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:46 pm I have not paid attention to Smallbore for nearly two decades, and I’m super surprised to learn about how the sport has changed.

I started shooting smallbore in 1977 as a teenager. I attended the 1978 and 1980 National Matches, and did a clinic at the OTC in 1979

IIRC there were over 500 competitors at Camp Perry each year for Smallbore.

I looked at last years results and saw that 30 people shot prone, and 20 people shot position.

I’m absolutely blown away at the drop in attendance.

I remember my times at Camp Perry with great fondness.
The NRA wrecked the sport when the moved out of Camp Perry against the wishes of a vast majority of the competitors. The CMP is doing a pretty good job of trying to build it back up under their name at Camp Perry.

The 3P turnout last year was very good.
Egon12

Post by Egon12 »

The NRA wrecked the sport when the moved out of Camp Perry against the wishes of a vast majority of the competitors. The CMP is doing a pretty good job of trying to build it back up under their name at Camp Perry.

The 3P turnout last year was very good.
[/quote]

Agree with this 100%. In my opinion the CMP has done a good job of supporting and promoting smallbore. Electronic targets starting last year and going forward. Tying smallbore with air rifle in the national match schedule has helped bolster attendance with youth shooters. I have attended the CMP smallbore prone matches at Perry from the beginning a few years ago and each year was well run and the numbers have seen a gradual increase. A far cry from the halcyon days of NRA nationals but it seems to be on the upswing. Looking at the NRA attendance it almost seems like a large regional match and a far cry from the old days at Camp Perry.

No point in rehashing the past and the decisions made. Suffice to say if given a choice between NRA at Camp Atterbury in Indiana and CMP at Camp Perry, Ohio I know where I am going. It is good to have a choice and I cannot fault anyone for choosing NRA nationals. It is up to personal opinions, schedules, etc.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Actually the NRA wrecking of smallbore started when they went back to the old target from the 50m international target under HQ Moody. Then changed prone course of fire.