old vs new

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

tonyv138138

old vs new

Post by tonyv138138 »

I posted in another rimfire forum, but did not get much info. So i thought i will try targettalk.

I have FWB2600 universal which is probably 25 years old. The factory 10 shot group is attached. C-to-C is 0.197. This brings me to a question: are currently made rifles shout any better? Would love to see currently produced factory target pics measured. I understand the ergonomics part, but pure barreled action performance is of interest here. Thanks
Factory target reduced.jpg
6string

Re: old vs new

Post by 6string »

There's a film about the centennial of Anschütz, made by the factory in 1956. You can find it on youtube without much trouble. Of course, the rifle is stocked in plain, old wood. The barrel was hand straightened on a fixture by a workman, going completely by eye, touch and experience. The test target fired was just as good as another, modern Anschütz test fired by the factory just within the past few years, as shown in a more recent video.
Sorry to be one of those guys that just cites online videos, but maybe it's worth thinking about.
In any case, if you find that old 1956 film, I think you'll enjoy watching it!

Is the new stuff really better? Or, have they just found ways to replace skilled workers and then call it "improved"?
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

From what I heard, old barrels were rifled in-house. Now, all their new barrels are sourced from lothar walther.

I have no doubt that FWB barrels are legendary, made to the highest degree of quality and accuracy, on par with Walther.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Tony,

First the factory test target really isn't relevant after 25 years: it was shot with the barrel clamped in a vice, and is really a function test/proof the rifle meets the factory minimum standard, than a pure best accuracy test. The group you get is also cherry picked, FWB will likely have shot several, but only put the best in the manual. So, it was not shot in a way that represents normal shooting, with ammo that's not available to you, and you don't get to see what the others are like.This isn't to say that your FWB is inaccurate, but the test target is not proof of much after so many years.

Regarding newer rifles, everyone I know with a new short (possibly more rigid) action finds it nor fussy over ammo, and seem to shoot well with more batches than others. Your single factory test group might he slightly tighter, but a new Bleiker, G&E, or KK500 might be easier to feed today.

I'd also argue that ergonomics are hugely important, not just the reduced reach to the breech to load, but rhe stock too. A 2600 Universal has a basic stock with limited adjustment, in common with all ISU Sandards of the period.
Last edited by Tim S on Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PASA008

Post by PASA008 »

The added or improved features, such as faster lock time, ergonomics,(more adjustments) to fit you better, Improved consistency of ammo, etc can all add up to improved scores. Your own training and practice can have a greater improvement that all these IF you are really dedicated and get some professional training to make sure you are practicing properly nad not just continuing bad habits.
Mike Carter

Post by Mike Carter »

The test target that shipped with my 1985 Walther LGR was superior to any test target I have ever seen with the new guns bought for our school. Is it a superior rifle to the FWB of today. No There was noticeable recoil and the side stroke handle would move on every shot.
One of my former HS athletes who has now fired a pair of 600 integer scores on her college team with a FWB800 told me there is absolutely no felt recoil. Prior to that she was shooting the Anschutz 9015 and never realized it has felt recoil until she switched to the FWB.