Walther GSP 32 Ejector Issues

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Shiloh

Walther GSP 32 Ejector Issues

Post by Shiloh »

Several years ago, my GSP Expert broke the ejector. Discussions with Earl at Earl's Repair (Walther dealer in SW Virginia & Mass.), I was told that the reason for that was that my loads were too hot. Loads with the stock barrel were in the 1.8 grains range of Bullseye, Solo 1000, 231, Titegroup, and the like. With the Wilson faster twist barrel, I went to VN310 @ 1.3 grains.

Bullets were/are Speer 98 (before they were labelled as "Plinkers"), Lapua 83 & 98, H&N, T&B 64 & 100, and some hardcast.

None of the loads qualify as "hot". Like others have written, Earl would not provide a recommended load.

Many thousands of rounds since, my Expert as well as those of the GSP/C (pre-Expert) have not had any ejector problems with the stock configuration with the changing and mixing of frames and barrels with the above loads. Hopefully, after having written that, I won't have a problem anytime soon.

It would appear that, in my experience, that the problem probably exists with the ejector and not with the pistols. I tend to believe that the ejector that came with the Expert may have been of poor quality either in composition or in manufacturing methodology either, or both, of which caused it to break. The GSP/C's all have ejectors that came with the pistols. They are and were dated in the late 70's and 80's.

Perhaps the recent issue of some of ejectors breaking is the quality of the ejector.

Having a spare ejector is a good idea in the event that the one in the pistol breaks.

I doubt if Walther makes the ejectors. They are probably sub-contracted which means that Walther may not have proper quality control in the manufacturing.

Most guns have had modifications that appear primarily accomplished for economical reasonings rather than substantive quality improvements. The roll pins in the recent 22 were not completely solid like those previously. They were roll pins that were not solid throughout the majority of the pin.

Some have mentioned the spring might be part of the problem. Certainly possible. I have always kept an extra spring for both the 22 and 32. A new spring for both is 4.25" in length. During occasional cleaning, measuring the spring length is a good idea to know the quality of the spring. If less, the spring should be replaced and another new spring ordered as the spare. That will depend on how much the pistols are shot but checking is always a good idea. Fixing a potential problem when cleaning is far better than a failure on the line.
Shiloh

Re: Walther GSP 32 Ejector Issues

Post by Shiloh »

Just received new springs for the 22 & 32 from Champion's Choice. Both are 4.5" in length. Previously, those ordered a few years ago were 4.25".