Spotting Scammers

Feel free to post for sale items as long as they are directly related to International type shooting
If you sell something, we would very much appreciate a donation of $5-10 either mailed to us or paypalled to us.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
Feel free to post for sale items as long as they are directly related to International type shooting
If you sell something, we would very much appreciate a donation of $5-10 either mailed to us or paypalled to us.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
EDC

Re: Spotting Scammers

Post by EDC »

Indeed, Rockgeo from our Targettalk community is a scammer working with others. In my case, he works with Ben Rodriguez:

His emails: tom44autos@gmail.com, xmohzy@gmail.com
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Thank you, for helping others!
Maikel

Post by Maikel »

yes i've been scammed by rockgeo, tom44auto and ben rodriquez for 70 dollars
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The dust hasn't settled yet, but it looks like I got bagged by Rockgeo. I've generally found competitive shooters to be as honest & honorable as they come, but that lulled me into a false sense of security. What I don't understand is why this guy is still on the forum with PM privileges after being identified as a scammer several times in this thread.

I posted a WTB ad, and he has a "friend" Tom (email: tom44autos@gmail.com) who supposedly had what I was looking for. He asked for a ridiculously high price, and when I gave him a reasonably offer, "Tom" went silent. Then Rockgeo stepped in & convinced "Tom" to lower his price. I used Paypal (without purchase protection, which I've done in the past). "Tom" then came up with a long song and dance about not getting the money (probably trying to get me to send it again), and when I told him to sort it out with PayPal he went silent.
JerryJ

Post by JerryJ »

Rockgeo offered me a sight that I had posted an ad in search of. He sent me photos of the sight, but a simple google search turned up the exact same photos of the sight being sold previously in another country. I told him I will pass.
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Rockgeo has been reported as a scammer on this forum, and others. Rockgeo has never "posted," on TargetTalk. We can ask Pilk to delete the user, but he will show up in new sheeps' clothing, I suspect. User notes added to the Rockgeo profile.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

M1963: Thanks for the info. I suspected that might be the case. I can at least complain to PayPal. I may not get my money back, but they can shut his account down which will (hopefully) inconvenience and annoy him.
Oldnslow

Post by Oldnslow »

Four days ago I posted a WTB ad re: a TOZ35 free pistol.

A few days later "Jadendem" responded, saying he had a TOZ in "immaculate" condition.

W'hen I asked him for some details and photographs he replied that he couldn't figure out how to post photos on the site, and asked for my email address.

I noted that he had only joined the forum recently and his only post so far was the reply to my WTB. I said I did not want to be rude but I didn't want to scammed, either, and asked him again for details.

He responded with a brief generic description of how a TOZ operates.

I replied that I knew how a TOZ operates, pointed out that the Buy, Sell Trade section on this website explains exactly how to post photos, and asked him whether he had shot the TOZ competitively, and where.

I've not heard from him since (if I do, I will update this post) but wanted to alert others about something that appears suspicious to me. As always, I welcome any advice from others (and I'm still looking for a TOZ 35M).
johnny j

Buyer Beware! Help needed!

Post by johnny j »

I was recently scammed on here by what seemed to to be a relatively established user "DDK576". The member offered to sell me a FAS 6004, but after I sent him payment he never shipped the pistol, nor has he refunded the money I sent him. He seemed honest in the beginning and did send a picture dated with a sticky note to establish the he indeed did have the afore mentioned pistol. But immediately after receiving payment he was unable to ship the pistol sighting a "short business trip" immediately followed by a death in the family, and then what must be a grieving process which incapacitates his ability to send either the pistol or send a refund. Any information on this individuals actual identity would be much appreciated.
thank you
johnny j

Re: Buyer Beware! Help needed!

Post by johnny j »

One more detail. This seller received his payment back on the 9th of January. So I am not being impatient with him.
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

One of my smart-ass posts referred to DDK as a "Rodent that needs to be shot"
atomicgale wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:30 pm
sidpost wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:15 pm . . . it will be shot against pests and rodents in general.
Where's ddk576?
He'd up his "Post-count" with posts such as (quote): "Thanks for sharing" that's it - like he's at his Kleptomanics-Anonymous Meeting.
johnny j wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:57 am I was recently scammed on here by what seemed to be a relatively established user "DDK576".
A total of 20 posts by "DDK576," all within 5 days total, does not make an "established user" - especially when the posts are 3 words or meaningless drivel.

Sorry for your loss . . . .
johnny j

Post by johnny j »

That you for sharing that information. It's a shame creeps like that are around. Appreciate the condolences.
Oldnslow

Post by Oldnslow »

See my recent post in "Spotting Scammers" re: another "member" who was too impatient to make even a single post before responding to my WTB.
KDZ

Post by KDZ »

Probably a dumb question but wouldn't using Paypal "goods and services" payment protect against this kind of fraud? ie, recourse if the buyer does not receive the item.

They add 3.5% to the transaction cost but given the prevalence of scammers it seems worth it.

Relatedly (on another site) a buyer wanted a scope I was selling. He wanted Paypal G&S, and offered to cover the added 3.5%. But he wanted to be paid through his Paypal acct in Mexico, and have the scope shipped to his brother in the US. Though a possible scam* wasn't obvious it didn't smell right and I passed.

*Maybe his brother would receive the scope but the seller could claim it never arrived. Paypal might say I can't prove he got the scope and refund his money, etc.
Rolltide

Post by Rolltide »

Probably a dumb question but wouldn't using Paypal "goods and services" payment protect against this kind of fraud? ie, recourse if the buyer does not receive the item.

They add 3.5% to the transaction cost but given the prevalence of scammers it seems worth it.

Relatedly (on another site) a buyer wanted a scope I was selling. He wanted Paypal G&S, and offered to cover the added 3.5%. But he wanted to be paid through his Paypal acct in Mexico, and have the scope shipped to his brother in the US. Though a possible scam* wasn't obvious it didn't smell right and I passed.

*Maybe his brother would receive the scope but the seller could claim it never arrived. Paypal might say I can't prove he got the scope and refund his money, etc.

This is not a good idea since PayPal is anti-gun and states in its policies that its service isn't to be used for the purchase or sale of firearms or firearm parts.

I believe if you go this route, your PayPal account will be shut down and you'll still be out the money.
johnny j

Post by johnny j »

I'll try to answer most of your questions in a way that covers the entire spectrum of comments. First off thank for all the good advice. Maybe I was just too trusting and had something of a glimmer of sincerity in the brethren of shooters. Which most are people of the highest caliber. Hahaha! When the party replied to my search they posted a picture of the FAS with a dated sticky note and my username. So that seemed to be a genuine offer. I paid them through PayPal FF, my mistake. In doing so I didn't have a case where I could appeal to PayPal that merchandise had never been delivered. I also didn't request the party to provide contact information, address, phone, ect. The guys a theiving jerk. That's just the short story of that. Live and learn man.
acorneau

Post by acorneau »

I don't have any buy/sell history or feedback on this site, but plenty on other reputable sites such as Rimfire Central, Steel Chickens, and Accurate Shooter. Asking for trader history on any other reputable site would be another good way to establish credibility before moving forward with a sale or purchase. Just a thought.
------
Allen Corneau
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I just got a PM from a new user ("Victorylap") with zero posts responding to my WTB ad. No info on the item he claims to have. He gave me a phone number, but I'm not even going to waste my time trying it. I already got scammed once on my WTB posting.
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Gwhite wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:57 pm I just got a PM from a new user ("Victorylap") with zero posts responding to my WTB ad. No info on the item he claims to have. He gave me a phone number, but I'm not even going to waste my time trying it. I already got scammed once on my WTB posting.
Another user is also reporting that "VictoryLap" is offering parts for a FWB 800x. Buyer beware. If you do decide to trade check back through this threads on ways to avoid being scammed.
Oldnslow

Post by Oldnslow »

"Victorylap's" first activity here was a response to my WTB a TOZ 35M (I'm still looking). He said he had one and asked me to call him. When I suggested instead that he send me some photos and information via this site he never replied. Beware.