Hammerli AP20 Pro Problem?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Airist

Hammerli AP20 Pro Problem?

Post by Airist »

I have purchased a brand new Hammerli AP20 Pro a couple of days ago. I noticed this morning that the pistol makes a rattling noise when it is moved around. It sounds like a loose screw banging around in the internals. The noise goes away when the pistol is cocked but it always comes back very noticeably when uncocked.

I’m not sure if this is to be expected from AP20 Pro by design or if it is a potential issue. Please enlighten me based on your experiences with AP20. Or any general opinions are also welcome. Just trying to figure out if I should get in touch with the dealer for it, seeing that it’s a brand new gun. Thanks in advance for all your help.
Last edited by Airist on Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nmondal

Re: Hammerli AP20 Pro Problem?

Post by nmondal »

Please contact the dealer. I had an AP 20 Pro for close to 3 years and this did not happen.
10 M Air pistol : Walther LP 500 Basic | Earlier Hammerli AP 20 Pro.
Newbie shooting questions : http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=63530
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

If you want more statistics, the team I help coach has twenty eight AP20's, and none of them have ever done this (that anyone has noticed). The only major differences between the regular and the Pro versions are the grip and the cylinder. Unless the grip hardware is rattling (which shouldn't be affected by cocking), the hardware is identical, and shouldn't do that.
Airist

Post by Airist »

nmondal wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:11 pm Please contact the dealer. I had an AP 20 Pro for close to 3 years and this did not happen.
Gwhite wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:27 pm If you want more statistics, the team I help coach has twenty eight AP20's, and none of them have ever done this (that anyone has noticed). The only major differences between the regular and the Pro versions are the grip and the cylinder. Unless the grip hardware is rattling (which shouldn't be affected by cocking), the hardware is identical, and shouldn't do that.
Thank you for your inputs gentlemen. I will be talking to the dealer first thing tomorrow morning.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

Airist wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:20 pm I have purchased a brand new Hammerli AP20 Pro a couple of days ago. I noticed this morning that the pistol makes a rattling noise when it is moved around. It sounds like a loose screw banging around in the internals. The noise goes away when the pistol is cocked but it always comes back very noticeably when uncocked.

I’m not sure if this is to be expected from AP20 Pro by design or if it is a potential issue. Please enlighten me based on your experiences with AP20. Or any general opinions are also welcome. Just trying to figure out if I should get in touch with the dealer for it, seeing that it’s a brand new gun. Thanks in advance for all your help.
I have an AP-20 which I've "converted" to a pro model with the addition of a LH 3D grip and slimline cylinder. It has made the slight "clicking" sound you describe when not cocked for the three years that I've used the pistol. It appears to have had absolutely no effect on the performance of the pistol. I know one other person who has had the same experience with their AP-20. Don't worry about it.

BTW, I think most shooters are unlikely to hear this noise because shooters usually have ear/sound protection in place which reduces the ability to hear the sound and, perhaps more importantly, if the pistol is picked up relatively slowly, and then cocked, the sound simply isn't created.
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

The rattle when you shake it is the striker. It is free when not cocked.The striker spring is slightly shorter than the tunnel which allows a little bit of free play for the striker to move.
My Hammerli 480, and my Steyrs can make that noise when tilted back and forth.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

brent375hh wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:09 am The rattle when you shake it is the striker. It is free when not cocked.The striker spring is slightly shorter than the tunnel which allows a little bit of free play for the striker to move.
Interesting. Thanks for the info.
Airist

Post by Airist »

B Lafferty wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:22 am
Airist wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:20 pm I have purchased a brand new Hammerli AP20 Pro a couple of days ago. I noticed this morning that the pistol makes a rattling noise when it is moved around. It sounds like a loose screw banging around in the internals. The noise goes away when the pistol is cocked but it always comes back very noticeably when uncocked.

I have an AP-20 which I've "converted" to a pro model with the addition of a LH 3D grip and slimline cylinder. It has made the slight "clicking" sound you describe when not cocked for the three years that I've used the pistol. It appears to have had absolutely no effect on the performance of the pistol. I know one other person who has had the same experience with their AP-20. Don't worry about it.

BTW, I think most shooters are unlikely to hear this noise because shooters usually have ear/sound protection in place which reduces the ability to hear the sound and, perhaps more importantly, if the pistol is picked up relatively slowly, and then cocked, the sound simply isn't created.
Thanks for the insight. I’ve gotten in touch with the dealer just in case.
Airist

Post by Airist »

brent375hh wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:09 am The rattle when you shake it is the striker. It is free when not cocked.The striker spring is slightly shorter than the tunnel which allows a little bit of free play for the striker to move.
I think you nailed it regarding the noise. I hear the rattling sound when I tilt the pistol forward a bit to load and when I lower it post shot. Regarding the shorter striker spring, that’s an annoying design to say the least. But I’m curious why some folks do not report such noise with their pistols as evident above while some do?.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

Airist wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:21 pm
I think you nailed it regarding the noise. I hear the rattling sound when I tilt the pistol forward a bit to load and when I lower it post shot. Regarding the shorter striker spring, that’s an annoying design to say the least. But I’m curious why some folks do not report such noise with their pistols as evident above while some do?.
Aging and a resultant loss of ability to hear certain frequencies?? ;-)
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Airist wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:21 pm
If the owner has adjusted their velocity screw in perhaps it took up the slack. A slightly bent spring, or a dab of grease on the striker will also largely make the noise go away.