Gehmann Diopter

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

jhodge

Gehmann Diopter

Post by jhodge »

Anybody who has an astigmatism tried the Gehmann non-magnified -5 to +5 diopter? Sure seems like the way to go instead of lenses and frames, but I've never tried one. Any input appreciated>

Jay
GolfShot

Re: Gehmann Diopter

Post by GolfShot »

Just a heads up its non-compliant as per ISSF rules. So unfortunately if you are entering competitions you will need to stick to glasses / monocle.
colinlp

Post by colinlp »

I used one for a couple of years. It does the job well but with a slight dimming of the image which is only noticeable on a very dim range.

Dead easy to set up, you just need your sphere and Cyl measurements from your optician, dial those in and fit it to your rearsight in the correct orientation; dial in the best sight picture with your dioptre and that's it

But as stated it's not ISSF compliant if that's an issue. Despite the lack of magnification it still has a system of multiple lenses which isn't allowed
jhodge

Post by jhodge »

Not so worried about the ISSF compliancy issue. I have a standard Gehman 510 (I think that's what it is) adjustable iris, I'm under the impression I need the 579 cylinder to work with that?

Thanks,
Jay
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Jay,

I think the 579 is just cylindrical correction. You'd also need part 50300-0 to get the non-magnifying focal length correction too.

Unless your eyesight changes frequently a single lens combining distance and astigmatism in a monocle holder would be cheaper, at least over here, than the 579 + 50300-0.
Bryan996

Post by Bryan996 »

I use one and I'm very happy with it. Please note that it doesn't fix astigmatism, for that you'll need to add the Gehmann cylindrical system. My astigmatism isn't that bad so I don't bother with correcting it. What I like about the Gehmann 50300-0 is that when I'm shooting in the evenings indoors (after a day of work in front of a screen) during the winter I literally loose sharpness over the period of a couple of hours. With a fixed lens there's nothing I can do however since adding the gehmann I can instantly dial the correction and get a sharp picture back. My only complaint is that it has no index marking so once its set up you cant tell if you're at +1 or +2 for example. Oh the other complaint is the price! But it has sort of paid for itself as I was spending around £100 every year to get a new lens made up as my prescription changed.
ShootingSight

Post by ShootingSight »

Waste of money. It is hugely complicated to dial everything in. A lot easier is to take your distance vision lens (Sphere, Cylinder, Axis values), add +0.5 to the sphere value, and get that one lens made. You can mount that lens in eyeglasses, a monacle system, in the rear sight, in shooting frames like Knobloch.

Your eye correction does not change on a day to day basis, so paying a lot of extra money to get an adjustable system, and one that is clunky to use, makes little sense.
Art Neergaard
ShootingSight LLC
www.shootingsight.com
info@shootingsight.com
513-702-4879