Cast Bullet - Home Lube

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

David M

Cast Bullet - Home Lube

Post by David M »

OK, you home bullet casters.
What is your favourite home lube for Centre fire bullets ?
Mine is 2 parts Beeswax, 2 parts Petroleum Jelly, 1 part Rocol Anti Scuffing paste (3% moly grease).
Caster3845

Re: Cast Bullet - Home Lube

Post by Caster3845 »

I got lucky several months back and was able to obtain a couple of gallons of Alox 2138F, so I mix that 50/50 with beeswax by weight and come up with the original NRA formula lube like the old Tamarack lube. Works great!
Rover

Post by Rover »

Lee Alox works pretty well, even with some of my rifle loads. I sometimes cut it with some mineral spirits. Just toss around in a baggie.
porkchop

Post by porkchop »

If you tumble lube, it's hard to beat 45-45-10 lube. I like to apply 2 very light coats, no tackiness, no leading, and no smoke. Let the first coat dry for 12-24 hours before applying the 2nd coat.
Stan
Pitt Willett

Post by Pitt Willett »

I'd suggest not using petroleum jelly in the mix. My experience with it is that it has a low melt point and can contaminate the powder if the ammo is stored in hot conditions (like a trunk). YMMV. It is also possible I over did the ratio in my mix but I just avoid it now. All things considered I find it just as cost effective to buy White's lube in bulk since the cost of their mixes is not much more than buying the components to make it. I used to pan lube but now have a Star lube sizer which does a good job and saves time by combining the size and lube steps.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

porkchop wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:39 am If you tumble lube, it's hard to beat 45-45-10 lube. I like to apply 2 very light coats, no tackiness, no leading, and no smoke. Let the first coat dry for 12-24 hours before applying the 2nd coat.
Stan
Hey porkchop, what the heck is 45-45-10 lube?

Bob
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Hi porkchop, I've found it: 45-45-10, is 45% Lee Liquid Alox, 45% Johnsons Paste Wax concentrate, 10% mineral spirits.

Not sure what the Australian equivalent is to Johnsons Paste Wax but a local outfit sells the concoction ready-made (for Australian consumption only):

IMG_1200.png

Bob
porkchop

Post by porkchop »

Bob, that's the stuff use thin coats. I like to put 3 thin lines in the bottom of a 2 or 3 liter plastic container and dump in 200-250 bullets. Swish them around until you get a light coat on them for about 3 minutes or more. Spread them on a tray lined with wax paper and let them dry for a few hours or dry to the touch. Then coat them again with another thin coat, this should make them a real thin light gold colour. Then spread them on wax paper again for 12 hours or more, they should be dry and not sticky. With a good load I rarely get any leading and no lube smoke. If you coat them too heavy they'll take longer to dry and harden the coating.
Stan