Importing Gun From UK to USA

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

IdahoMoose

Importing Gun From UK to USA

Post by IdahoMoose »

Hi there

I've seen a bunch of topics on this forum discussing importing guns into the USA however I haven't seen any that match my situation!

I'm originally from the UK however relocated to the USA some years ago. I have a handful of shotguns in the UK that I used to shoot. They don't have a huge financial value but I do have a significant sentimental attachment to them. With this in mind, I'd like to bring them to the USA and add to my collection here.

What I'd like to do is to bring them to keep in my collection, maybe displaying them in my office to remind me of the people and experiences associated with those particular guns. I may very occasionally shoot them for fun, however they were never fitted to me and I always shoot better with properly fitted guns (no surprise there!!). I don't plan on selling these and would hope for my children to inherit them if/when they showed interest in shooting (they are rather young currently!).

There's absolutely no urgency involved at all - I'd probably bring them back to the US when I next travel to Europe. I certainly wouldn't bother to ship them!

So, here's my question - what do I need to do to achieve this legally in a way that won't come back to bite me on the ass later?!

Thank you!
PeeWeeDaddy

Re: Importing Gun From UK to USA

Post by PeeWeeDaddy »

ATF Form 6 for each and everyone of them.
Depending on where you live an FFL holder may have to receive them.
If you do try and bring them back yourself do not travel through New York.
"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement."
IdahoMoose

Post by IdahoMoose »

Thanks for the reply.

I looked at the Form 6 earlier and wasn't sure how much of it was relevant/required in this situation as I'm not buying from anyone. For the customs broker, is this firearms specific, or any import/export customs broker?

I would be entering the US in Washington State.
PeeWeeDaddy

Post by PeeWeeDaddy »

As a member of the USAF stationed in Berlin, 1974-79, I purchased a revolver, a shotgun and two rifles from the rod & gun club. All required an ATF Form 6 for me to bring them home the USA.
You should call the ATF.
BTW, in addition to my duties as an air traffic controller, I was a customs inspector for personal property shipments to the USA.
"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement."