Advice on S&W model 41

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

xmillionn

Advice on S&W model 41

Post by xmillionn »

Hello all, I just purchased a S&W model 41, which is my first upper level 22 lr. I am wondering what the consensus is on the cleaning of this and other pistols like the Walther ssp type guns? I have been told everything from don't clean it till it stops working to clean it just like every other gun.

I am curious as I don't want to damage the gun. I am going to but using Eley ammo unless I find something better.

Please let me know what your opinion is. Thanks
Rover

Re: Advice on S&W model 41

Post by Rover »

I find a toothbrush is sufficient to clean my 41, usually just prior to a match. I'll also take a bore brush to the chamber at that time.

I have found CCI Standard ammo to be perfectly satisfactory and cheap. I used a lot of different "crap" ammo during the "Great .22 Shortage", and most worked well enough.

Once upon a time in the West, I tested four different barrels (2 long, 2 short) with every ammo handy, from a Ransom Rest. No two barrels worked the same. After using up "the good stuff", I just said "F it" and used the CCI.

BTW If you're planning on using a non-iron sight, have a look at Clark barrels. They don't have the extension that supports the rear sight. This greatly reduces jams and/or makes clearing one much easier. Jam problems? You probably need a new extractor.

I used this feature on a stock barrel by the use of a hacksaw and mill file. Works perfectly and it's free.

Remember, it's just a tool and not something to be gazed at from afar with loving and shining eyes.
Troystat

Post by Troystat »

For what it's worth I have an older 41 and I used to clean it after every trip to the range and I assumed that was the reason it has never gave me any grief. A few years ago I started cleaning it after every 1000 rounds and it did not seem to make a difference, still shoots great.
Not Ready

Post by Not Ready »

I have found my 41 not to be at all sensitive to "not" being cleaned. Once or twice a year has been fine in normal use. I do use mostly Eley orange and yellow box, and believe their bullet lube is helpful in extending barrel cleaning frequency.
crankythunder

Post by crankythunder »

There are a number of issues that commonly make the model 41 jam or malfunction. Extractor, ejector, magazines, dirty chamber. I would recommend doing the "Plop" test. That is you take the barrel and drop a loaded round in it. It should drop all the way in. turn the barrel breach down and the 22lr should fall out. If it does not you need to clean or polish the chamber. Clean it and get a bore mop with butches bore shine or valve lapping compound. Use a drill and polish that chamber to a mirror finish.
SuperIIFT

Post by SuperIIFT »

I clean after every Match
Never have a problem

Dennis
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

We shoot monthly matches from March through November, weather permitting. I clean mine about twice a season. I remove the grips and remove the barrel assembly from the frame. I scrub the frame feed ramp, barrel feed ramp, and extractor with a nylon brush. I also run a .22 caliber brush through the barrel followed by a few patches. I then spray all of the assemblies with carburetor cleaner, let it dry and then apply a light coating of RemOil to everything and reassemble. Works for me.

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman