centra sling

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

jedin

centra sling

Post by jedin »

Does anybody have experience with the Centra sling, or its cheaper Startline version? Is it a significant improvement over the standard sling?
Tim S

Re: centra sling

Post by Tim S »

Hi Julian,

The MEC-Centra is a very popular sling. I had one for a year, but sold it a few months back because I never got it to work well enough. The sling has lots of features that I really liked: self centring, micro-adjustment, and a single thickness strap over my wrist. When the sling came onto the market, ten or fifteen years ago there were complaints about the strength of the strap, and it tearing through. Centra appear to have listened as mine was made of much thicker material, and had no signs of wear (I bought it used).

However, I couldn't get it to pull as evenly and comfortably as my old ESE sling. I suspect it was just my position, as si many shooters use these, and second hand sales aren't common.
lyoke3

Post by lyoke3 »

Tim S makes some great points. I have worked with a lot of shooters and got this sling fit to them just right. It is robust and quite versatile. Personally, I went back to my KT UIT II as I liked the fit and feel of the thinner Thune sling more.
New account - locked out of previous account "lyoke2"
jedin

Post by jedin »

Thanks, both.
My main problem with my ESE sling is that it keeps slipping round my arm, moving the pull from outside to inside, and catching the pulse. (I have thin and weedy arms :) so there's a lot of empty space in the jacket sleeve, and not a lot for the sling cuff to grip.)
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Julian,

Have you thought of fixing the sling to the keeper? You'd need to be sure the sling is in the correct position first, too far to the outside and it will drag on the jacket, but for the price of a nut and bolt (or just a few rubber bands for starters) it's worth a shot.