International firearm purchase question

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

alanms

International firearm purchase question

Post by alanms »

Does anyone have experience or knowledge about purchasing a rifle from a UK gun shop online and more specifically what’s necessary to get that rifle here to the US? I’m interested in what the expense would be to get it here as well as what paperwork might be necessary. I found a rifle I would like to have at a good price in the UK.
I’m concerned however,the added cost may make it not worthwhile.
Thanks in advance
pfiori

Re: International firearm purchase question

Post by pfiori »

I recently did this though from a shop in Germany. It was not inexpensive. At the time, 2 shops in the UK had the rifle but both said that they needed a license that they did not have so could not do it. You will need to have a US based Importer bring it into the US. I will PM you the one that I used.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

The UK dealer would need an export license granted by the Department of Trade and Industry I believe. If the firearm is cheap enough that it will be economical for you even after shipping and any US import costs, will the UK RFD be making enough that they want to get the export license? If it's say a BSA Martini they're selling for £150 they may think the effort is not worthwhile.
alanms

Post by alanms »

Thank you both for the information. I’ll speak to the dealer and check into the importer.
I appreciate the help.
acorneau

Post by acorneau »

A good primer on the subject...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EApdOogHi_k
------
Allen Corneau
pthatcher

Post by pthatcher »

Please see my post of August 25,2022 under Olympic Rifle, Re; Krale. I had exactly the same concerns you do regarding rifle importation. To summarize, the process is indeed possible but it is complicated, lengthy, and expensive. Hope this helps.
spektr

Post by spektr »

It almost makes more sense to fly there and bring it home
alanms

Post by alanms »

Thanks to everyone for the help with this.
I appreciate it.
After considering it, I’ve decided that the added expense and headache make the the purchase a no-go.
PeeWeeDaddy

Post by PeeWeeDaddy »

In addition you will need the US Government permission if you are purchasing a “firearm” (That is what the post asks) overseas.
An ATF Form 6 will need to be issued.
"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement."