Smallbore FWB vs Ans vs Walther

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

kbean

Smallbore FWB vs Ans vs Walther

Post by kbean »

Looking for opinions, pros and cons between KK500, FWB 2800, Ans 54.30/1907/1913/2013.

I'm starting to search for an upgrade for my daughter and wanted to get thoughts on the above rifles.

Thanks!
bdutton

Re: Smallbore FWB vs Ans vs Walther

Post by bdutton »

I have been dealing with the Walther KK500. Nice weight and balance. But I am not thrilled with the adjustability of the butt-plate. The hook doesn't swivel independent of the lowwer section of the three peice butt plate. Having difficulty getting the butt plate to fit my junior's shoulder properly. Maybe someone could direct me to better instruction to get it right. I do prefer the Anschutz butt-plate (2213-8700) assembly for adjustability for all positions.

I didn't work extensively with the FWB 2800 but what I do remember handling one it has a really nice action.
Bob Foth

Post by Bob Foth »

Will your junior be at JOs this month?
If so, please have him/her visit me at the Walther booth and I can help with buttplate adjustment and fit.
pfiori

Post by pfiori »

KBean,

I will start with, what size is your daughter?
This aspect is the greatest determining factor in selecting a rifle.

While all of the current manufacturers produce rifles capable of the accuracy needed, 3p is not a sport of how accurate the rifle is, it is a sport of how accurately the athlete can shoot their rifle.

The advances in the sport over the last 10 or so years have been driven by ergonomics more than anything else.
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

Bob Foth wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:37 am Will your junior be at JOs this month?
If so, please have him/her visit me at the Walther booth and I can help with buttplate adjustment and fit.
No but thanks she won't be there.
kbean

Post by kbean »

Thank you for the responses.

PFiori,
She is probably 5’6”, 115lbs. I would say that a heavier rifle could make it harder for her to be successful. Right now she shoots a 1903 Jr. with an extension tube. I feel like she needs something that has the action set further back, and has a slimmer, less blocky stock that she can adjust for depth with a palm rest. I’m also looking to improve the trigger and lock time.
Probably most of the options would be an improvement, but I’d like to buy once and not have to try and improve again later!
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

The Walther KK500 and FWB 2800 meet both those requirements: the action is very short, so there's less stretching to load. The stocks are much slimmer than a 1903. That has the deep wedge-shaped stock in lieu of a palm rest /add-on black for standing.

Even an Anschutz 1907/13 in the aluminium 1918 Precise or 1914 Sport stocks brings the action (handle, breech, and trigger) back towards the grip, even though the action is at least as long as a 1903.
Last edited by Tim S on Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

The Walther kk500 lightweight would be an excellent choice.