Steyr Pistol Box Foam

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

dulcmr-man

Steyr Pistol Box Foam

Post by dulcmr-man »

I have a recently acquired used Steyr LP50 that came with the standard ergonomic grip as well as the accessory 1911 grip. I have installed the 1911 grip, the Steyr short picatinny rail adapter, and a small red dot sight. Of course, it no longer fits into the factory case.

I would like to purchase the same kind of foam that comes in the factory case and cut it to fit the new configuration. Does anyone know what kind of foam Steyr uses? It looks like black open-cell foam and is pretty stiff and easy to cut.

Failing that, I could buy an entirely different case and adapt that to the LP50. Harbor Freight has some, but most are deeper than I would like.

If anyone has a suggestion I am all ears.

Thanks in advance.

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman
papa

Re: Steyr Pistol Box Foam

Post by papa »

I just spent quite a bit of time on this. Closed cell foam is what you want. It wont take on moisture. You should check out Appalachian Tough Foam. They have a great selection of thickneses and sizes. Egg crate or flat. Quite reasonable prices. I used a Samsonite briefcase from the 70's that I got from Goodwill in really great condition. Cut the pockets out carefully. 1/2" foam on the bottom, 2" foam for the second layer ( in this layer I custom cut to inset the pistol ) and 1 1/2' egg crate in the lid. Worked really well and I like the way it looks. Plenty of room for a tin and tools if you like. I put all of the paper work behind the foam in the lid so it stays with the pistol. A less fussy way would be to just use the egg crate top and bottom. Just order it thick enough to secure the contents when the lid is closed. Under a hondo for the whole set up.
Izh46m
Fwb100
dulcmr-man

Re: Steyr Pistol Box Foam

Post by dulcmr-man »

Thanks for the information. I'll check it out.

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman