1903 Trigger

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

kbean

1903 Trigger

Post by kbean »

I don't know much about Anschutz triggers. My daughter is shooting a 1903, and I am wondering if I can do anything to improve the trigger. Any help is appreicated.
Thanks!
Tim S

Re: 1903 Trigger

Post by Tim S »

It might help to expand a little on what your daughter wants from the trigger: less weight, more weight, more travel, less travel, less creep etc. The 1903 has the 5098 two stage trigger, which in my experience isn't bad, but isn't a top level match trigger (not unexpected, given the price vs a Match 54). Anschutz North America has simple instructions for adjustment on their website:https://www.anschutznorthamerica.com/ma ... -tips.html

If you meant to ask does anyone fettle 1903 triggers to a 1oz benchrest release, I've never heard of it. Another forum member may know of someone who does. AFAIK there is no aftermarket trigger for the 1903, and the 5018 1913 trigger won't fit.
kbean

Post by kbean »

This is helpful, thank you.

Looking for less first stage travel, no second stage creep, less second stage weight.

Not too worried about first stage weight.

I shot it recently and noticed some creep and mechanical grinding in the second stage, looking to clean it up.

Thank you
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

I don't believe the 5098 trigger adjusts in the way you want. You have weight and sear engagement (2nd stage creep), but you can't adjust the weight of each stage independently. The instructions on the ANA website should let you remove the creep (go very very carefully with the sear), and the overall weight.
justadude

Post by justadude »

Tim S is correct, adjustments on the 5098 trigger are limited and first stage/second stage are not independently adjustable.
I am a little concerned when you say 'mechanical grinding' or is that just a flamboyant way of saying creep? If you get the sensation of metal on metal grinding or grit in the mechanism this trigger needs serious cleaning and lubrication before adjustment.

Past that, there are two screws, one on the RH side of the trigger, just above the trigger lever that controls creep. Easiest with the action out of the stock, cock the bolt, back off the screw 1/2 turn and squeeze the trigger to dry fire. Repeat the back off, cock and dry fire until the 2nd stage cannot be felt. When you just lose the 2nd stage, then tighten the screw 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn and you should get a nice crisp 2nd stage back.

There is a screw on the bottom of the trigger housing just in front of the trigger lever, screw it in and you can get a little more trigger weight, screw it out for the opposite effect. It covers a very limited range but you can fiddle with it if you like. Tim S has provided a link to Anschutz website for more documentation.

Now, on a related idea of what you can get this barreled action to do: I notice you were also inquiring about putting this barreled action in a Tec-Hro stock. My next question, very sincerely is, why would you want to do that? The 1903 barreled action is a great action, designed to get folks started in the sport it is not designed to be a forever rifle. The 1903 barreled action will NEVER match the performance of a Match 54 or Walther KK or FWB barreled action developed specifically for smallbore competition at 50m. If your daughter is ready for a better rifle, start looking for exactly that, appropriate to her size rather than trying to convert a 1903 into something it was not intended to be. I have seen too many cases of a 1903 with a hook plate added, then palm rest some other accessories added to the fore end, next a tuner tube in an attempt to build a 1907 out of a 1903. The 1903 will never be a 1907 and in the end the gun usually ends up difficult and annoying to work with.

Looking for a great ladies rifle? Anschutz 1914 (not bad for smaller boys either).

Good luck with the trigger.

'dude
kbean

Post by kbean »

Thank you for the info!

Dude- I agree with your thoughts on a new rifle. I think we have done all we can with the 1903, I just have to find the right rifle to replace it. Right now I'm thinking about and searching for a KK500, light or ultralight.
justadude

Post by justadude »

Upgrading the entire rifle is likely the most prudent course forward. Certainly look for a used before biting the bullet (bad pun) on a new one. I saw another post where you mentioned your daughter is 5'6" at 115 lbs. Given her relative height, she should not need any radical modifications to the basic rifle to be able to get it to fit properly. (For some shooters I have seen aluminum stocks cut just behind the grip 1-2 cm removed and welded together). While not a guarantee, she may also have somewhat longer arms so discussions about receiver/bolt length and loading port location are diminished.

While KK500 is a great gun and there are a lot of them out there, don't pass up looking at a FWB 2700 'Ladies' (light barrel) should you see one. As noted earlier, while 'old school' with a wooden stock, Anschutz 1914 with the standard 1907 barrel has a lot to offer as well.

Best of success in your search!

'dude
kbean

Post by kbean »

Is the 1907 a lighter barrel?
I’ve never really understood the differences in Anschutz models besides 54 vs 64 and what I can see on the stock.
I guess the newer 54.30 is set back and then there are other differences n the latest model-but I’m not looking for one of those yet.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

kbean wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:58 am Is the 1907 a lighter barrel?
I’ve never really understood the differences in Anschutz models besides 54 vs 64 and what I can see on the stock.
I guess the newer 54.30 is set back and then there are other differences n the latest model-but I’m not looking for one of those yet.
Yes, the 1907 is a lighter barrel than the 1913. The receiver, bolt, and trigger are identical. The 1907 barrel is 26in long X 7/8in diameter (660x22mm). The 1913 barrel is 27.2 X 15/16in (690 × 24mm). Practically the 1907 is about 10oz/300g lighter than a 1913.

Yes the 54.30 is effectively a set back 1907. Anschutz shortened the bolt by 30mm, and seated the barrel 30mm deeper in the receiver. There are some internal differences in how the barrel is fitted, and in the bolt between a 54.30 and a 19xx 54, but the shorter bolt is the most obvious.

Match 54 models aren't too hard to fathom. Most fall into three categories:
Supermatch - heavy, thumbhole stock, hook butt (models ending xx13, xx09, xx10)
Standard - lighter, wedge shaped stock (models xx07)
Prone - medium heavy long straight prone stock (models xx11)

Things got a bit complicated after 1997 when the ISSF deigned to let women use a lighter Free Rifle, and many used a 1907 barrel in a metal stock (as well as the dedicated 1912 and 1914 Sport stocks).
kbean

Post by kbean »

This is very helpful, thank you for the post!