High and I can't set the Baikal IZH 46M any lower

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
JamesHS

High and I can't set the Baikal IZH 46M any lower

Post by JamesHS »

Hi everyone - OK, so I've got the vertical adjustment on my Baikal IZH 46M set as far down as it will go and I'm in the 7/8 ring. I aim 'sub 6' style already, so it's not like I can just aim lower.

Has anyone adjusted the front sight up? Is there a longer blade available (I can't find one on Google, but...). Or can the rear sight be moved down somehow?

Or is it a technique thing? Gotta be said, I'm grouping pretty tight in those 7s and 8s.

All thoughts appreciated.
rmca

Re: High and I can't set the Baikal IZH 46M any lower

Post by rmca »

You need a taller front sight.
A quick google search got this image for the front sight
1.JPG
1.JPG (30.81 KiB) Viewed 4117 times
It looks like something that you can cut out of back plastic (bottle, packaging, Eley .22lr box, etc.), if you are not able to work with metal.
Drill it first, then cut the shape around the hole. Leave the sight long, and cut it as needed so the rear sight is near the middle of it's adjustment.
I've done countless rear and front sights from all sort of material, from plastic, aluminium, metal. They all work great, and are far easier to make than they look.

Hope this helps
JamesHS

Post by JamesHS »

rmca wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:32 am You need a taller front sight.

It looks like something that you can cut out of back plastic (bottle, packaging, Eley .22lr box, etc.)
I had dismissed the idea of making one because while I have most of the tools, I don't have a bench and a vice for working with steel.

But I had not thought about plastic or aluminium! I'll have a poke around for something suitable.

Thanks for the inspiration!
JamesHS

Post by JamesHS »

rmca wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:32 am They all work great, and are far easier to make than they look.
I used a bit of plastic that used to be a battery cover for one the kids' old toys. It's about the right thickness and a slightly smaller hole that the metal original allowed the grommet screw to hold it securely. Now the elevation is set in the middle and I'm hitting the middle of the target - success. Thanks again, rmca.
GoodEnuf

Post by GoodEnuf »

More to satisfy morbid curiosity than to help you fix the problem (rmca has done a good job for you), a question - Is this a new problem on an airgun that once placed ok, or has this always been the case? Is this a newly acquired airgun? What happened in the gun's history to cause the problem, or to your best knowledge, did it come new (to someone) this way?

Knowing that may speak to an ultimate, more elegant, fix, or forestall a continuing future problem in deviant points of impact. (The first of several possibilities that comes to mind (and this does not involve mechanical failure) is did you recently change your shooting range to a significant degree? e.g., shooting farther to the target, especially going from very close ~5m, to 10+m counterintuitively may raise the points of impact.)

JE
Reporting from the Cascade Subduction Zone...
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

I had a friend 3-D printed the square block with front sight on top. He 3-D printed multiple blocks with different sight heights for me.

I really recommend you do that, for two reasons.

One, it solves your front sight height problem.

Two, more important for me, it lessen that IZH 46 front heaviness.
JamesHS

Post by JamesHS »

GoodEnuf wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:06 pm More to satisfy morbid curiosity than to help you fix the problem (rmca has done a good job for you), a question - Is this a new problem on an airgun that once placed ok, or has this always been the case? Is this a newly acquired airgun? What happened in the gun's history to cause the problem, or to your best knowledge, did it come new (to someone) this way?

Knowing that may speak to an ultimate, more elegant, fix, or forestall a continuing future problem in deviant points of impact. (The first of several possibilities that comes to mind (and this does not involve mechanical failure) is did you recently change your shooting range to a significant degree? e.g., shooting farther to the target, especially going from very close ~5m, to 10+m counterintuitively may raise the points of impact.)

JE
Hi - thanks for your thoughts. I think it might be the arrangement of my head upon my shoulders because every gun I shoot needs to be similarly adjusted. This Izzy is new to me and I was setting it up for the first time. Shot off a rest, it now groups very tightly in the right place.
JamesHS

Post by JamesHS »

seamaster wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:27 pm I had a friend 3-D printed the square block with front sight on top. He 3-D printed multiple blocks with different sight heights for me.

I really recommend you do that, for two reasons.

One, it solves your front sight height problem.

Two, more important for me, it lessen that IZH 46 front heaviness.
Brilliant idea. What I have is working, but I like your idea for a permanent solution.

You don't by any chance happen to have the .stl or .obj file, do you?
GoodEnuf

Post by GoodEnuf »

GoodEnuf wrote: ↑Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:06 am

More to satisfy morbid curiosity than to help you fix the problem (rmca has done a good job for you), a question - Is this a new problem on an airgun that once placed ok, or has this always been the case? Is this a newly acquired airgun? What happened in the gun's history to cause the problem, or to your best knowledge, did it come new (to someone) this way?

JE

Hi - thanks for your thoughts. I think it might be the arrangement of my head upon my shoulders because every gun I shoot needs to be similarly adjusted. This Izzy is new to me and I was setting it up for the first time. Shot off a rest, it now groups very tightly in the right place.

JamesHS...
In another life, I shot a lot of H&K .40, and before that S&W .357. I seem to remember one cause of shooting high (and to the right) is a form of heeling, that is pushing the grip away at the wrist as you squeeze off shots. This may happen with high power handguns as anticipation of recoil, or more relevantly to us, small hands and short fingers managing an oversized grip and too long trigger reach. We reach around the grip to get to the trigger and then squeeze the trigger by pulling it back into the pushing base of the palm. The shots are then unexpectedly high and to the right. Consider the fit of the grip.

JE
Reporting from the Cascade Subduction Zone...
JamesHS

Post by JamesHS »

GoodEnuf wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:58 pm We reach around the grip to get to the trigger and then squeeze the trigger by pulling it back into the pushing base of the palm. The shots are then unexpectedly high and to the right. Consider the fit of the grip.

JE
So now I have a higher front sight, I have zeroed in on the bull and am concentrating nicely on the 8/9/10 rings - most of the time. I have fly aways - about 3 in 20 shots which go high to the right.

What you say about grip really resonates and I reckon you've hit the nail on the head and I will be concentrating on this part of my movement and fit of the grip - thank you.
PeeWeeDaddy

Post by PeeWeeDaddy »

My IZH46M came with two rear sights (you turn it over) and three front sights.
Careful the rear sight screws turn backwards.
"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement."
Rover

Post by Rover »

I was playing with an old Mauser cavalry rifle. Apparently, they set the sights up so that you aimed at the belt buckle and it would hit someplace much higher, good to any reasonable distance.

I just snipped the end off a tie wrap/zip tie and superglued it to the front sight. Amazingly, it was right on at 100 and I still had rear sight adjustment.
breadfan

Post by breadfan »

PeeWeeDaddy wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:03 pm My IZH46M came with two rear sights (you turn it over) and three front sights.
Careful the rear sight screws turn backwards.
No necro bumping intended. But, for other people reading this. Might be good to add some nuance.
I also received extra front and rear sights. But the do not vary in height. Only in width.
So this can not help you, unless you want to cut a piece off, or enlarge, or use for measure etc.

I had the same problem as the topic starter, who most likely has already found a great solution.
Went back with the pistol to the store.
In the store the salesperson left with my pistol, so could be that I did not see everything.
But what I saw was that he just pushed the rear site down with his finger.
This took away resistance so that the sight had more space to turn into the "down" direction.
I felt a bit ashamed that I did not try this at home.