spare

For those who like shooting in the snow

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Craig1956

conradin

spare

Post by conradin »

I just want to make sure what I got is correct, after reading the IBU rules. It is different from the Paralympics rule.
In relay competition, for example a short race, an individual has to shoot 5 prone targets and 5 standing targets, with 10 rounds in magazine and 3 spare rounds in total.
How do u use the spare round? The rule is confusing.

3 spares rounds per leg (prone and standing combined),
or 6 spares rounds per leg (prone has 3 spares and standing has 3 spares)
or 6 spares rounds per leg with no limits (prone uses 5 spares standing has 1 spare, or any other combination)
can an athlete decide to use the penalty loop even though she has a spare round for the prone because she wants to save it for the standing leg?
spektr

Re: spare

Post by spektr »

You are not reading the rule correctly. In a short sprint the shots per station to clear 5 targets are 5 from the magazine and up to 3 spares single loaded. There are no rounds saved from 1 leg to the next. The shots are not cumulative. Each stage resets the allocation to 5 and 3.
conradin

Post by conradin »

spektr wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:04 pm You are not reading the rule correctly. In a short sprint the shots per station to clear 5 targets are 5 from the magazine and up to 3 spares single loaded. There are no rounds saved from 1 leg to the next. The shots are not cumulative. Each stage resets the allocation to 5 and 3.
So P (5+3) and S (5+3)? Hence the athlete has to have start out with two 5 shot magazines and 6 spare rounds (16 rounds in total). I got confused on the terminologies.
bberg7794

Post by bberg7794 »

I don't believe there is a restriction on how many spares one is allowed to carry. Occasionally a round stovepipes, is damaged by a short stroke/misfeed, there is a fail to fire, or the athlete accidentally ejects a live round; therefore one is allowed to single feed spare rounds as long as one does not exceed five shots per stage. Additionally, the athlete must must shoot five rounds per stage to prevent very fast skiers from bypassing the shoot altogether and skiing the penalty loops or taking the time penalty. If you miss, you go to the penalty loop or time is added, depending on the event.

The exception is the relay, where you can use up to three spares per stage as spektr indicated above. If you still have a miss after the three spares, then you go to the penalty loop.

If you crash and fill your sights with snow, you hold your arm up and someone will bring you a tool to clear the snow. If you have a more serious problem with your rifle, you hold your arm up and you are allowed to have a spare team rifle brought to you on the firing line, so you can complete your event.

I have a friend competing in the IBU Cup. His season ended today with the mixed-relay.
bberg7794

Post by bberg7794 »

My friend on the team just verified, there is no limit to how many spare rounds you can carry for single loading for damaged or dropped round. He said some carry 8, some 6, some 12.
spektr

Post by spektr »

bberg7794 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:09 pm My friend on the team just verified, there is no limit to how many spare rounds you can carry for single loading for damaged or dropped round. He said some carry 8, some 6, some 12.
I agree with you...... I was saying what the allowable number of SHOTS per stage was. 5 + 3 is allowed then if you have targets up its off to the loop.. Carrying more than that is the norm as weird things like fumbles do happen.