Pellets

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

conradin

Pellets

Post by conradin »

Can someone tell me, here in the USA, what is the cheapest .177 diabolo pellets? I'm asking because I shoot a lot of biathlon air rifle. I have my own good stuff, but I want to use cheap stuff for practice. I shot around 44 rounds a day. Sounds a lot but since I go by 5 targets at a time, it is pretty quick.
Last edited by conradin on Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Foster

Re: Pellets

Post by John Foster »

Have you been asleep in the choir while the high priest delivers the message of the Hobby pellet?
Rover

Post by Rover »

Do you want the cheapest pellets? Or do you want the cheapest decent pellets?

42 shots a day? OMFG, there goes your "pot" budget!
Richard144

Post by Richard144 »

Shop around. RWS Hobby or RWS Basic are good and fairly inexpensive. I use them and Champions Choice pellets. Again decent but not super pricey.
Rick b.
m1963

Post by m1963 »

RWS Basic from ISS. Call Neal Stepp.

http://www.iss-internationalshootersser ... ts2022.pdf

International Shooters Service
2319 E. Loop 820 N., Fort Worth, Texas 76118-7103

Telephone 817-595-2090
PeeWeeDaddy

Post by PeeWeeDaddy »

Daisy
Crosman

Cheap practice pellets.
"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement."
GBaker

Post by GBaker »

Podium LLC Vogel Pellets
They have a bulk pellet for practice.
Dmaryakh

Post by Dmaryakh »

QYS pellets (tins of 500) at SportShootingDepot would be probably the cheapest world class quality pellets to get.
https://sportshootingdepot.com/product/ ... g-pellets/

If planning to buy in bulk - call or shoot an email to get an additional discount
spektr

Post by spektr »

+1 on vogel. they have 5k bulk pricing and the stuff will easily outshoot the needs of a biathlon gun. 42 rounds a day? is that 42 rounds or 42 x 20 rounds for the biathlon course......
Rover

Post by Rover »

Come on, Conradin. You know your scores won't benefit by ANY pellets you might buy.
conradin

Post by conradin »

spektr wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:23 am +1 on vogel. they have 5k bulk pricing and the stuff will easily outshoot the needs of a biathlon gun. 42 rounds a day? is that 42 rounds or 42 x 20 rounds for the biathlon course......
20+2, 20+2.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Rover wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:05 pm Do you want the cheapest pellets? Or do you want the cheapest decent pellets?

42 shots a day? OMFG, there goes your "pot" budget!
Is pot legal in Idaho?
conradin

Post by conradin »

I bought this one (New Daisy Model #557 PACK OF (500) .177 CALIBER PELLETS NEW 8158354
https://www.ebay.com/itm/313338372134

I'll report if they are ok when they arrive.
conradin

Post by conradin »

GBaker wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:50 pm Podium LLC Vogel Pellets
They have a bulk pellet for practice.
Looks good. I'm gonna order this after I am done with the Daisy.
Heidemans

Post by Heidemans »

You should be practicing with the same pellets you compete with. How else do you set up rifle if different when you get to competition if it changed from cheap pellets.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Heidemans wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:32 pm You should be practicing with the same pellets you compete with. How else do you set up rifle if different when you get to competition if it changed from cheap pellets.
Yes, I know. But I am not doing this for competition. my "good stuff" is J&B Match Light weight 4.52. They are not cheap.
Practice wise cheap pellets will be fine. While I am looking for cheap stuff for my LGB-1, I feed my FWB90, 300S, and 800Alu with the J&B.
I do use a shaping tool for the pellets which I use them for my LGB-1. Just put the pellets inside the magazine, then reshape them whether they are in good shape or not. I need to use that tool to properly seat inside the magazine anyway. If the pellet is not (reasonable) perfect. One should be able to shape the 5 pellets magazine less than 30 seconds. If I do not do that, even one single not properly shaped pellet will have the rifle being jammed by the magazine.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Heidemans wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:32 pm You should be practicing with the same pellets you compete with. How else do you set up rifle if different when you get to competition if it changed from cheap pellets.
Gentlemen. The whole shoot what you practice with statement is completely bogus shooting biathlon pellet rifles. You are shooting at the equivalent of trash can lids compared to 10 meter shooters where it makes a tiny difference for the less than 1 percenters who use decimal scoring to fly to far away lands to shoot for a living. I defy you to find a statistical difference in the scores of any pellet shooting at this target off of a mechanical rest. The target does not require anything near a precision pellet AND both Hobbys and Vogel Bulk or Orange are far better than the minimum needed to perform to perfection. Were not shooting groups, were knocking over trash can lids. I fail to see any benefit in shooting anything"better" since both these pellets will clean the target all day long. The only time there MAY be an issue is when the shooter has broken down to the point where he isnt hitting the target, and then, pellet performance isnt going to help you. The pellet will never be the difference between hitting or missing the trash can lid......
Lastly, your focus on cheap vs expensive pellets is laughable. in the real world at the volume you shoot, you can cover the difference in prices by selecting the bigger toilet paper packages and using that savings to fund them.

I fully expect the next discussion here to be the scoring differences introduced by WHERE YOU REFIL YOUR TANK. It seems like you need to consider the very teenie tiny differecnes in trace materials in the air and the effect of those differences on external ballistics.................
Rover

Post by Rover »

Damnit, spektr, why are you putting out good common sense when the boy can't even figure out that any cheap-ass pellet will do for his spray and pray style.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Very true indeed.
You either hit the black, or you miss.

Um, Rover, it is not a semi-automatic, so spray and pray cannot be done....at least the spray part.
PirateJohn

Post by PirateJohn »

I get Vogel from CMP for my air pistol. A sleeve of 20 tins is under $80 and if I buy two I get free shipping.