Modern Walther Dovetail sizes?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

B.p.M

Modern Walther Dovetail sizes?

Post by B.p.M »

I have an old Walther GX1 free rifle that has a Redfield scope on it, but I'd like to fit some iron sights to it.

The front sight dovetail measures 8.89mm and the rear is 11.42mm. Will the modern Walther/MEC sights fit it?

Thanks,

B
aalbert

Re: Modern Walther Dovetail sizes?

Post by aalbert »

Are you measuring across the outer V portion of the dovetail, or somewhere else? I believe modern Walther uses the same rear dovetail as Anschutz, its the front where they go narrower.

A MEC Walther riser I have is 9.67mm across the width at the top of the V

If you mix and match riser bases/tops, you can typically adapt one era of sights to another.

Here is the factory drawing, along with a redo of it, to accomodate measuring without 2mm pins
Screen Shot 2023-01-15 at 10.34.09 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-01-15 at 10.34.36 AM.png
B.p.M

Post by B.p.M »

Thank you for the images and details. I have a few of the older non-rotatable Anschutz 18mm sights and they simply would not secure to the Walther dovetail, so I concluded that I'd need to get a Walther sight. That being said, I did not try the MEC sight riser I have. Because of the way it clamps down on a barrel, it grabbed the dovetail just fine, and my Anschutz sight fit perfectly.

That being said, I had already ordered a 22mm Centra base and tunnel from Neal Stepp. He let me know that the dimensions had not changed since the GX1 rifles. The new Centra bases for Walther rifles fit perfectly on my GX1.

B
aalbert

Post by aalbert »

Glad to hear you came up with a solution.. Another common work around is to get a 2 piece base, with Walther on the bottom and Anschutz on the top, so you can use Anschutz fronts.