Dry fire device in 22 LR

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

hengehold

Dry fire device in 22 LR

Post by hengehold »

What are you using for a dry fire device to protect firing pin in your 22 LR?

I use an Anschutz 1903 action at the moment.

Thanks,
-Trevor
rgibson

Re: Dry fire device in 22 LR

Post by rgibson »

Sent you a pm about this.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Yellow drywall anchors
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

The newer version of the yellow Hillman drywall anchors have been changed. The rims are skimpy and do not reliably make contact with the extractor. We have found a more robust alternative. If interested pm your email and I will send info.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

I’m sure those work for 5-6 firing pin strikes just like the drywall anchors. But that price is high. I’m paying right at $14 for 500 of the drywall anchors from the distributor.
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

Could you replace the firing pin with one that you file down?
https://www.nordicmarksman.com/Match-64 ... Model.html

The 54 action has dry fire pins you can buy and the 1827 has a "donut", but I could not find a unit made for the 64 actions.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Shooterer wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:52 am The 54 action has dry fire pins you can buy and the 1827 has a "donut", but I could not find a unit made for the 64 actions.
The 64 has a very different firing pin set up; from memory it's a developed Flobert action, where the 54 is a scaled down Mauser.

Where the 54 has the firing pin retained directly by the trigger, the 64 has a two piece firing pin driven by the back end of the bolt. Removing the front part of the firing pin would prevent damage to the chamber, but I'm not sure what would happen inside the bolt.
Last edited by Tim S on Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

The source for the gray drywall anchors is Mr. James Spillman at Southern Fasteners and Supply, LLC. His telephone number at the South Carolina office is 864-607-9370. Most importantly, the company part number of this anchor, that works like a charm in my Anschutz 54 action, is CPA4878G. They come in bags of 500 and the cost is 0.0283 per part or $14.15 a bag. I eject them after each shot and only hit them five times maybe less if they were repeatedly hit in the same area. So theoretically a bag would be good for 2500 dry-fires. The original yellow anchors worked in several magazine fed firearms before the small rimmed version started appearing. I HAVE NOT TRIED THESE NEW GRAY ANCHORS IN A MAGAZINE. They are not as smooth, having protuberances along the body. WHEN PICKING UP THE USED ANCHOR, I ALWAYS INSPECT THE RIM for signs of separation. The yellow anchors were bad about separating after 4-5 hits and the body would remain in the chamber or barrel. The gray anchors rims are much more substantial but I would rather not launch any downrange if I can help it. Not really going to be a problem if you're not hitting it in the same spot every time. See you at the range! Bob