Chamber flag question

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

eggchamber

Chamber flag question

Post by eggchamber »

I received this with a Hammerli I purchased a while back. I really like the chamber flag as it allows me to dryfire the gun but I can't seem to find anything close on the Internet.

Any idea who makes this or where I could find something similar?
SteveT

Re: Chamber flag question

Post by SteveT »

Larry's Guns International. Larry Carter unfortunately Died several years ago. Red Feather Outfitters bought out the stock.

https://www.redfeatheroutfitters.com/dr ... gs-22.html
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

Yep, that's Larry's design, great piece. Walther now ships a similar plug with the X-Esse and P22, it's blue and Walther-branded.

If your Hammerli is a Trailside or X-Esse, it can actually be dryfired safely without the plug. Says so right in the manual, the firing pin is super-robust and does not touch the chamber at all. Not recommended with the classic Swiss models.
eggchamber

Post by eggchamber »

Thanks, I'll order a bag of them.
PeeWeeDaddy

Post by PeeWeeDaddy »

A fellow on the RFC Forum sent me these:
EF12C6BF-D257-476A-BAC3-D7D8185977A7.jpeg
From Ruger.
"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement."
B.p.M

Post by B.p.M »

-TT- wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:39 pm If your Hammerli is a Trailside or X-Esse, it can actually be dryfired safely without the plug. Says so right in the manual, the firing pin is super-robust and does not touch the chamber at all. Not recommended with the classic Swiss models.
Mine is a Hammerli Xesse and Larry told me not to dry fire it without the chamber buffer.

I looked up in the manual and and at least in mine, it says never to dry fire witout the chamber plug.

B
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

B.p.M wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:03 pm Mine is a Hammerli Xesse and Larry told me not to dry fire it without the chamber buffer.

I looked up in the manual and and at least in mine, it says never to dry fire witout the chamber plug.
Interesting, I stand corrected (sorry!). It seems this was added to the manual recently - earlier versions did not require using the "buffer". I wonder if there is a different firing pin. I can say that mine definitely does not contact the the breech/chamber.
B.p.M

Post by B.p.M »

-TT- wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:23 pm Interesting, I stand corrected (sorry!). It seems this was added to the manual recently - earlier versions did not require using the "buffer". I wonder if there is a different firing pin. I can say that mine definitely does not contact the the breech/chamber.
Why the manufacturers don't have some type of dry fire capability is silly since every competition shooter does it to some degree or another. Having to fiddle with rubber bumper things is a pain in the neck. I ordered a package of 20 of those a few years ago and it will probably last a lifetime. That being said I'm not much of a pistol shooter.

B
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

Precision pistol shooters are a minority of gun buyers. Those who actually dry fire regularly are a minority of competition shooters in my experience. Most guns will withstand a dry fire every now and then.

Some guns can be dry fired. My FWB manual says not to use any flag or cushion when dry firing.
sthlm

Post by sthlm »

These are used in the Nordic countries as they are mandatory at competitions. Below is from the swedish pistol association.

BobGee

Post by BobGee »

At $2 (15 kr) each they are good value. I’m trying to buy some from the SPSF but have run into a shipping road lock. Hopefully the Swedish end can sort something out.

https://www.pistolskytteforbundet.se/ma ... oppbricka/

Thanks for the advice.

Bob