Suggestions for Airline Rifle Cases

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

kbean

Suggestions for Airline Rifle Cases

Post by kbean »

Any suggestions for flying? Strength, weight, security are the main issues I'm concerned with.
rbs

Re: Suggestions for Airline Rifle Cases

Post by rbs »

sent a PM
acorneau

Post by acorneau »

I bought a Pelican 1750 for my smallbore silhouette rifle and it's been great. I've traveled across the country (plus down to Mexico) half a dozen times so far and not a single worry. Quadruple lock positions means no one is getting in there without tearing the entire case apart. Highly recommended!
Last edited by acorneau on Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------
Allen Corneau
larry

Post by larry »

Got a Nanuk!
Great price , fairly light and solid.
Plus a local product for me!
aalbert

Post by aalbert »

Also check out the storm series -- they weigh a little less, which is helpful - not as robust as the 1750, but still decent. The Vault series seem to show a little more wear for the same amount of travel.
larry

Post by larry »

[quote=larry post_id=322942 time=1667079089 user_id=1014]
Got a Nanuk!
Great price , fairly light and solid.
Plus a local product for me!
[/quote]

Here's mine
https://fr.nanukcases.ca/collections/gu ... /nanuk-995
ChickenChowda

Post by ChickenChowda »

acorneau wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:10 pm I bought a Pelican 1750 for my smallbore silhouette rifle and it's been great. I've raveled across the country (plus down to Mexico) half a dozen times so far and not a single worry. Quadruple lock positions means no one is getting in there without tearing the entire case apart. Highly recommended!
+1 on the 1750, Mine got me through 5 years of NCAA travel and was fantastic. also seen the plano stuff do well but I think the pelican is better quality. Whatever you go with, I personally recommend getting the foam you have to cut over the pick and pluck stuff, It just turns out better. make sure to leave as much space as you can around the rifles and the edges, by this I mean don't try and cram absolutely everything into the case. the more foam that's left in there, the more there is to protect your investments. at an absolute minimum try to keep an inch and a half around the perimeter. Buy a separate case for your sights, iirc tsa does not consider sights as a gun part, so you can carry them on, and you don't want the weight of your rifles banging them around in your case. And finally, hot glue the layers of foam together, and into the case. it makes a serious quality of life improvement.
alpineboard

Post by alpineboard »

20221103_120020 - Copy - Copy (1).jpg
20221103_120020 - Copy - Copy (1).jpg (48.45 KiB) Viewed 1947 times
Just got a Harbour Freight Apache 9800. It is a heavy case at 22.5 pounds. 12 pound FWB and a couple full tins plus an extra cylinder, and it weighed in at 38 pounds total.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Two questions:

Why do people fit their guns to the cases so they're upside down when carried by the handle, resting on the sights?

Don't people take the sights off for transport? I know someone who trained for years, went to the Commonwealth Games and crashed out because his rearsight was damaged and didn't adjust.
alpineboard

Post by alpineboard »

When the case is closed and resting upright, the lower center of gravity will prevent it from tipping over, understood it is not a big issue. Also, when placing the rifle in the case, it is a more natural placing method.
This entire rifle is totally surrounded by pick/pluck foam, it is not moving at all inside the case.
If I ever fly anywhere, or do any kind of questionable travelling, I can always remove the sight.
Shakeyaim

Post by Shakeyaim »

I went to Camp Perry this summer for a shooting holiday and needed a decent case for flying with. I bought a Peli IM3300 and it did the job just fine, I put four TSA padlocks on it to secure it. Whatever you get, I very highly recommend making sure it has wheels on it. The wheels were a godsend while tramping around airports with the rifle and all the rest of my baggage.

https://www.peli.com/eu/en/product/case ... orm/im3300