Prone Shooting jacket recommendations!

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Atanasius

Prone Shooting jacket recommendations!

Post by Atanasius »

I’m looking for prone position shooting jacket recommendations.
Thank you!
Tim S

Re: Prone Shooting jacket recommendations!

Post by Tim S »

If you want a prone-only jacket, Kurt Thune make a couple. There's the new Prone (your choice of double canvas, or canvas/leather), and a Prone version of the Club. Some retailers may still have the old Prone 600 in standard sizes. Monard will make the Super and Olympic as prone-only. I can't speak for the US makers; a few British fullbore shooters like these, but there's almost no presence in smallbore here.

However don't discount 3-Position jackets; the top ISSF shooters have used 3P jackets since being restricted to one, and shoot good Prone scores. If your budget stretches to this, Capapie are the hot ticket. Sauer, Thune, Hitex, Monard , and Kustermann do well too. Over here you'll see Mouche and Truttmann too, though I don't know if they have US distributors. I'd say that made to measure is worth the (small) premium when buying a top quality jacket. Although, depending on your size, a standard size jacket may fit well; this widens your choice considerably. Off the peg jackets aren't always as durable, especially the elbow rubber; there is a reason almost all best quality jackets use top grip rubber.
Last edited by Tim S on Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mgdietrich

Post by mgdietrich »

Had a custom Thune prone coat, it worked very well. I have a Monard XTC custom coat now and it is great.

I would opt for custom if you can, they will fit your shoulders better which is very important for a prone coat.
Atanasius

Post by Atanasius »

Yes, I shoot prone position only.
Visited KT website and saw their prone jackets. They don’t ship to US and don’t have distributors according to their website. If I’m wrong, please send me links!
Thank you!
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Atanasius wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:58 pm Yes, I shoot prone position only.
Visited KT website and saw their prone jackets. They don’t ship to US and don’t have distributors according to their website. If I’m wrong, please send me links!
Thank you!
KT have at least one US dealer: http://www.brenzovich.com/index.php?id_ ... &id_lang=1
1845greyhounds

Post by 1845greyhounds »

mgdietrich wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:01 pm I have a Monard XTC custom coat now and it is great.
Relative to prone shooting, do you have any recommendations for customizing the Monard? Their website ordering form allows longer sleeves, and different thickness panels.
mgdietrich

Post by mgdietrich »

I worked with Robert Oberle and took his advice. I did use a suede shoulder pad instead of rubber and it seems to be working well with my buttplates.

Sleeves do nothing, I would not want them longer. My right sleeve is a little too long as is.
1845greyhounds

Post by 1845greyhounds »

mgdietrich wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:07 am I worked with Robert Oberle and took his advice...
Sleeves do nothing, I would not want them longer. My right sleeve is a little too long as is.
Thanks for the advice!

Does your sling contact skin anywhere? Mine touches the area between the end of my sleeve and my glove. I don't think it's supposed to be that way, but maybe that's better than it wrapping across the thickness of the jacket overlapped with the glove. What's your opinion?
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

1845greyhounds wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:37 am Thanks for the advice!

Does your sling contact skin anywhere? Mine touches the area between the end of my sleeve and my glove. I don't think it's supposed to be that way, but maybe that's better than it wrapping across the thickness of the jacket overlapped with the glove. What's your opinion?
Interesting, by custom I would have guessed Morgen meant made to measure.

For sleeves, the left/sling sleeve should be wrist length in position, without catching on the rifle. Every good shooter I can think of has their sling over the jacket sleeve and glove. If the sleeve leaves a gap under the glove for the sling to bite your arm, it's too short. This is not uncommon with standard sizes. But, a made to measure jacket should absolutely get sleeve length (and elbow pad position) correct.

My new Monard has a dart, and lycra gusset, at the left wrist so the sleeve doesn't crease and pinch the wrist. Some KTs replace the canvas with lycra inside the wrist to achieve the same effect.
rbs

Post by rbs »

sent a PM