Yet another cleaning thread

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

JamesH

Re: Yet another cleaning thread

Post by JamesH »

If all Benelli problems can be a traced to a dirty chamber maybe they need to revisit their chamber design.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I finally wrote up my notes on chamber cleaning, including borescope pictures of how effective it is:

https://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.ph ... 41#p326441
PeeWeeDaddy

Post by PeeWeeDaddy »

I shot with a bunch of Olympian shooters when I was stationed in Europe.
I shoot with A member of the 1980 US Olympic team (The peanut man told Russia, no).

To a man (and a lady) they all say it is better to not clean then clean wrong.
The next time I clean my 601 will be its first.
IZH46M - DITTO
"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement."
KDZ

Post by KDZ »

Great outline on chamber cleaning - thanks Gwhite!
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

I cannot attest to the best cleaning method; but, I can share my process and the results of it. I shoot a 2018 Pardini SPBE and disassemble it and clean it after most shoots (e.g., 90 rounds) with 2 patches - a few passes from a patch damp with Hopps #9 and then follow with a few passes from a dry patch. With each patch, I "swirl" them in the chamber. This allows the barrel to pass the "thud" test (new cartridge drops in the chamber with a thud). There is quite a bit online about bore scoping the barrel after cleaning. So, I won't bore you with more of that. But most importantly, with the cleaning method that I use, my initial and following shots are on-call in the next practice/event with the ammo I normally use.

Time for a rabbit hole discussion - I have shot Eley Pistol 10x, Lapua Midas, CCI Std, Aguila Super Extra Standard and a host of other all lead 22 ammo from a ransom rest, the Eley Pistol 10x produced the best results; but, that stuff is spendy. Of the four mentioned, CCI Std shot the worst; but, it still shot one 10-ring and the other 9 were X-ring at 50 yards and from my shooting, it has better than 99.96% "firing" reliability (I shoot a case or 2 a year). So, it has been good enough for me to make Expert and I have recently shot a couple "Master" level 900 scores.

Ok, back onto the cleaning discussion. For the past few months, I have shot most of a case of Aguila Super Extra Standard (our club has a Bullseye League that shoots 2-900's a week). And, here is my experience. The cleaning method above did not work. With the Aguila, a fouling ring "carbon" I believe appears just in front of the chamber and it does not easily come out with the Hopps. So, I started using a bronze brush after the wet patch for the full length of the barrel followed by a slightly damp patch, followed by a dry patch. This produced a clean barrel; but, the first few shots of the next event would be up to 1.5" off call at 50'. So, I gave this some thought and only used the brush on the chamber and the first inch of the barrel. This allows the initial shots at the next shoot to be on call.

So, there you have it, a non-technical, results-based cleaning solution - pun intended.

If anyone wants to talk about my cleaning process for lead centerfire and jacketed 45 ACP, let me know. Otherwise, that is all she wrote.
mrh1958

Post by mrh1958 »

Heres the way I clean my Ruger MKII, I use only BoreTech Carbon C4, I soak the chamber for about 45 mins with a bore mop or a patch on a jag, pull one C4 soaked patch through, 3 or 4 dry patches to dry the bore. Pistol has over 6000 rounds through it and accuracy is as good as it ever was ( EXCELLENT) it has never had a brush in it, you will do more damage than trying to brush a 22 pistol, they dont need it, this is bore scope confirmed to. The C4 removes the carbon and fouling from the bore and cleans the chamber very well. This method works.
PeeWeeDaddy

Post by PeeWeeDaddy »

The same as CLP.
"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement."
UnGe

Post by UnGe »

Simple rule I follow for my High Standards (when I follow any rules, that happens sometimes):
I have an ECI that is sized very well for: if it fits tight - time to brush the chamber
When I have an itch to clean (less and less, at most once per season) - clean completely