Rifle rest for offhand stand

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

kbean

Rifle rest for offhand stand

Post by kbean »

Anyone have shooters using rifle rests/holders attached to their offhand stand?
Any thoughts on these in regard to making position transitions?
Any source in where to purchase one?
Thank you!
rpm

Re: Rifle rest for offhand stand

Post by rpm »

About 20 years ago I introduced my wife to 3p small bore. She refused to place her rifle on the ground. I looked everywhere for a rifle rest the I could attach to her stand. I found nothing so we created our own. I made about 30 of them. All the shooters at the club used then. A couple on college teams bought them as well.
It never caught on. You can find a version made of metal online. Mine is made of wood.. I still use mine everyday. I now shoot air in my basement.
I love it. It makes it easy to put your rifle down and pick it up with no effort.

If you want to know more let me know.

Ron
GolfShot

Post by GolfShot »

rpm wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:30 pm About 20 years ago I introduced my wife to 3p small bore. She refused to place her rifle on the ground. I looked everywhere for a rifle rest the I could attach to her stand. I found nothing so we created our own. I made about 30 of them. All the shooters at the club used then. A couple on college teams bought them as well.
It never caught on. You can find a version made of metal online. Mine is made of wood.. I still use mine everyday. I now shoot air in my basement.
I love it. It makes it easy to put your rifle down and pick it up with no effort.

If you want to know more let me know.

Ron
Would be great if you could post a photo of it. Im having trouble visualising it.
Tavishwm

Post by Tavishwm »

The reason they never caught on is they are not allowed in sanctioned matches. Bill Earnest was the one who was making the metal version.
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

Mec has a line of "Supported Shooting" accessories
https://shop.mec-shot.com/zubehor/suppo ... g.html?p=1
rpm

Post by rpm »

Here are some pictures of the one I built and use. If it meets your needs I still have the materials to build you one. I would ask you to cover shipping.
Attachments
3A6F7EF4-7E3D-4FB7-A1BF-E8E3F6023554.jpeg
3A6F7EF4-7E3D-4FB7-A1BF-E8E3F6023554.jpeg (52.62 KiB) Viewed 8128 times
E2D1C7A6-F656-4AF8-B469-DA70958BAE29.jpeg
E2D1C7A6-F656-4AF8-B469-DA70958BAE29.jpeg (53.36 KiB) Viewed 8128 times
3908459A-D1D6-4518-9623-43ADFBE67A91.jpeg
722B7440-71D8-477E-9EFE-EA3968AD630F.jpeg
5A773C2B-FEBF-48DD-AFAB-A1EB6C82F97A.jpeg
James Storm

Post by James Storm »

These holders look simple and solid but the stands themselves always look delicate and unsteady. Are they actually that way or are they more solid than they appear?
rpm

Post by rpm »

The offhand stands are very solid and stable.
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

FYI... and you may already know this... but its against ISSF rules to have an attachment to the offhand stand for the rifle to reset on.
rpm

Post by rpm »

I was not aware of this. All I could find is ISSF rule 7.5.8.3 Rifle Rest/Equipment & Accessories. It does not say anything about attachments to the Offhand Stand. I am sure you are right. Can you tell me what the ISSF rule number is? Thank you, Ron
rpm

Post by rpm »

This is ISSF Rule 7.5.8.3 Rifle Rest Rule
Rifle Rest Rule.pdf
(32.19 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
rpm

Post by rpm »

I have reached out to ISSF to ask them if this stand is in violation of any of the rules. I will post their reply if I hear from them.
Attachments
Rifle Rest Rules JPEG.jpg
Rifle Rest Rules JPEG.jpg (28.27 KiB) Viewed 7632 times
Brazos

Post by Brazos »

Thanks for asking ISSF. If it truly is against their rules I would like to know why? I don’t see how it would be some sort of advantage that would give someone the upper hand. I can’t see any safety issues. I have been on the look out for one of these as when I run across people using them they seem real handy.
rpm

Post by rpm »

I did not hear back from ISSF or USA Shooting regarding this question. I spoke to Marcus Raab who told me it was against the rules in an ISSF match to place your rifle on a "rifle rest" mounted to the offhand stand. He also told me to look under section 6, General Technical Rules to find the answer.

6. General Technical Rules
6.17 Finals in Olympic Rifle and Pistol events
6.17.1 General Final Competition Procedures
6.17.1.13 Final Rules and Procedures
6.17.1.13 (m)
Athletes who are eliminated during a Final must place their guns on the firing point, bench or equipment box (3 position match) with actions open and muzzles pointed down range, with safety flags inserted.

Marcus explained the rules require that your rifle must be in your hand, on the firing point, bench or equipment box.

There is no rule against mounting a rifle rest on your offhand stand. The rule is against placing the rifle on the rifle rest.

This rule only applies to ISSF matches. In practice or at home you can do as you please.

Marcus pointed out that the rifle rest does offer some advantages to access your rifle in standing and kneeling when a bench is not available. The problem is you or someone else could bump into the rifle causing the stand to fall over and damage the rifle. In essence it is not recommended.

I have used my rifle rest for over 20 years both at home and at the range. Knocking my rifle over has always been a concern of mine and I use caution when walking around the stand.

I hope this answers the question, Ron
JMHollowell

Post by JMHollowell »

I recently asked this question at a CMP event, and it is against ISSF rules. There have been several situations at ISSF events where the stand was not balanced properly and the addition of the rifle caused the stand to fall. This is the rule they will reference in regards to this situation:

7.5.8.3 Rifle Rests
The use of a rifle rest for resting the rifle between shots is permitted providing that no part of the stand is higher than the athlete’s shoulders when in the standing position. A stand for resting the rifle must not be placed in front of the shooting table or bench in the standing position. A kneeling roll may be used as a rifle rest. Care must be exercised that while resting the rifle, it does not intrude on the athlete one either side. For safety while the rifle is on the rifle rest, it must be held by the athlete.

That last sentence is the kicker. Placing the rifle on any kind of holder mounted on the stand, technically, it is still on the rest.
alpineboard

Post by alpineboard »

216k.jpg
This set up has worked well for me.
"no part of the stand is higher than the athlete’s shoulders when in the standing position."
Key words here are "When in the standing position", I drop my leading shoulder a bit when in position, states "shoulders" plural, so that no part of the stand is higher than the lower shoulder Or higher than the higher shoulder?

Re reading this, shoulders (plural) meaning both, so the stand needs to be higher than both shoulders to be not proper.
Also questioning, is the spotting scope "part" of the stand?
One possible is that the scope is attached to the stand so it is part of the stand.
Another take would be , the scope is not being used as a part of any support, so it is irrelevant...?

How about, cut the top rest rectangle(red), then mount the spotting scope on a lower portion of the stand? Easily done with an aluminum rectangle and another vertical rod.

Or , first picture, the area where the spotting scope is mounted scope is not being used as a rest, so that area is irrelevant. ...?
Attachments
216k.jpg