Biathlon Rifle Weight?

For those who like shooting in the snow

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Craig1956

brent375hh

Biathlon Rifle Weight?

Post by brent375hh »

I know zero about this sport, but was watching it on TV tonight. The targets look relatively big, and the rifles look heavy. My initial observation is that you get a really good skier and teach them to shoot, as opposed to a really good shooter and teach them to ski.

I have an Anschutz 64 rifle that looks more like a biathlon rifle, and I also have a Remington 581 that shoots some extremely good groups at 50 yards. The Remington could easily clean the biathlon targets and probably weight 3-4 pounds less. I am thinking a lighter rifle that gave up an extra 3-4mm group size could be competitive.

Are they lugging around more than they need, or do they need the mass to help stability at the high heart rate? Maybe a lighter rifle with weight only on the muzzle?
bberg7794

Re: Biathlon Rifle Weight?

Post by bberg7794 »

The Biathlon rifle has to weigh at least 3.5 kilos (7.7 pounds) unloaded per the rules. There is some good information on the Wikipedia page for "Biathlon Rifle."

I have a friend attending one of the biathlon development camps. He told me the common belief is that it is easier to teach a good skier to shoot than it is to teach a good shooter to ski.
ddk576

Re: Biathlon Rifle Weight?

Post by ddk576 »

bberg7794 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:17 am The Biathlon rifle has to weigh at least 3.5 kilos (7.7 pounds) unloaded per the rules. There is some good information on the Wikipedia page for "Biathlon Rifle."

I have a friend attending one of the biathlon development camps. He told me the common belief is that it is easier to teach a good skier to shoot than it is to teach a good shooter to ski.

I guess your friend is right