FWB 601 question

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

fangerdog

FWB 601 question

Post by fangerdog »

Hi all, I don't post here but I sure do enjoy reading the expert commentary. So I have a question maybe someone here can help me with. I'm a moderately serious club level shooter and I practice pretty much every day. The AGs I use are a FWB 601 and IZH 46M. I average around 300 pellets or more per week so call it 16,000 per year. The question I have is, how long do these AGs last? Are they good for 100.000 shots or more?
spektr

Re: FWB 601 question

Post by spektr »

I have never successfully worn out an airgun.
Ive had to take them apart and put in O rings and occasionally send the complicated ones in for service, but my
experience is fairly typical...... My FWb800X might make a shop visit because it has never been serviced and Im fortunate enough to be able to do it.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Air guns have rubber seals. Over time these go bad. Generally speaking this is no problem because they can be replaced. What seems to limit an airgun's life is when the manufacturer quits supplying the specialty seals. Even the o rings they use in airguns are not necessarily just common o rings.
fangerdog

Post by fangerdog »

I really like this AG and plan to keep shooting it a lot. I don't want to worry about finding replacement seals for an old AG so I ordered up some spares today. I also noticed the crank damper was missing and was able to order the last one. I sure hope I never break some obscure irreplaceable part.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I can relate. I have an Anschutz 2002 Superair which is a SSP rifle too. I did pretty much what you're doing. It works fine but I'm told that sometimes the valve assembly goes bad. Not sure what goes bad in there but it was replaced as a unit I understand. They are no longer available so I guess when if that happens to mine it will be a drill rifle.
Brazos

Post by Brazos »

Contact Walther in Germany for parts. My buddy’s super air had a cracked receiver and they sent him a new one. On accident they first sent him a valve assembly. Kind of a language barrier we were dealing with getting parts. Anschutz didn’t even want to be paid until the parts were in hand and what we wanted. Just told us to keep the valve for no charge. This was two years ago so there may be hope you can still get stuff now before you need it. I will say if I were going to buy an older SSP rifle I would buy a FWB 600 series over the Anschutz. The Anschutz has a cast receiver that is brittle and it’s a pain to work on. The FWB is machined and easier to work on.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Also, it seems to me that FWB does better supporting their older guns.
ArTee

Post by ArTee »

Mine works just fine and using alloy instead of lead is 611+ fps. If I had a clamp assembly I'm sure it would best my bagged shots which are pretty good. I'll keep it listed until I get an offer. Thanks all for the input.

RT
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

I did a course at FWB factory Oberndorf Germany, they said be sure to use the correct lube its in a small white tube, Open cocking lever lube a tiny amount in the compression cylinder and work lever up and down but don't cock it, lube sliding cocking linkage and main hinge

Take stock off and lube a tiny amount on the firing pin bearings, but keep lube away from trigger mechanism.

The seals that eventually go bad are the compression chamber valve seals which are a sort of nylon material, they go bad more to do with age than wear, hope this helps