additional weights to pistol?

A place to discuss specific issues with the new SASP disciplines

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Sergei1950

additional weights to pistol?

Post by Sergei1950 »

I have heard from some pistol shooters that they often exercise holding weights up to 10 lb (like pistol). Yes, I can do it with additional weights attached to my pistol. Actually it is pretty wellknown exercise. But how useful is it?
Old10MShooter

Re: additional weights to pistol?

Post by Old10MShooter »

For a 1.5 to 2 pound air pistol, you need more endurance than strength. I am no expert, but lifting and holding 10 pounds exercises the major muscles but you truly need minor muscles for longer holds. It would be better to hold your regular pistol for longer periods of time instead of 10 pounds for shorter period. Be mindful to rest the same amount as the hold each time you bring the pistol/weight down and increase the duration of the rest as your training progresses. What you don't want is to introduce muscle tremors or develop tendonitis. With the longer holds with a smaller weight, you are improving your stability and exercising the minor muscles for a greater endurance. Depending on your build, you can use 8-10 pounds with quick reps for strength training but not for improving your hold.
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

My physical therapist said never do straight arm holding exercises with more than 5 pounds and 3-4 is probably a more realistic max. Her concern was injury. We aren't built to hold a lot of weight out straight. She said it would also be harmful to my pistol shooting. When you lift heavy weight it engages the bigger muscles and build fast twitch muscle cells. When you lift lighter weights you engage the smaller muscle groups and build slow twitch muscle cells.

Big muscles and fast twitch cells are bulky and provide explosive strength and fast movements. Think body builders, weight lifter and sprinters.

Small muscles and slow twitch cells are used for control and endurance. This is what helps us hold the gun steady.

Increase the number of reps, not the weight.
UnGe

Post by UnGe »

IMG-1771.jpg
:)
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

I used to shoot FP with a guy who started lifting to bulk up. His scores went down to the point that he quit shooting FP because he was frustrated with his ability to hold. We both assumed lifting would help, but it didn't.

Look at some of the petite ladies shooting 580 in AP.
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Check out the book entitled, “Competitive Shooting,” by Yur’Yev.

(From, Competitive Shooting” by A.A. Yur’ Yev, pages 316-317; (C) 1985; Seventh Printing May 2000. NRA publications)
E06AC6F8-C407-4451-A191-A545EB93A590.jpeg