Clicks

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

conradin

Clicks

Post by conradin »

My air rifle is fine as far as elevation is concerned. But when it comes to windage, it runs out of clicks, for the let side. That means I cannot bring the windage from Left to Center (Bullseye). Any tips?
Tim S

Re: Clicks

Post by Tim S »

Conradin,

Are the rearsight and foresight standard factory issue? Do you have any raiser blocks under the sights. Non-standard sights might not fit the FWB dovetail perfectly, allowing misalignment to creep in; so you use the windage clicks to try and compensate rather than for zeroing.

Is the foresight mount vertical/12 o'clock? If the muzzle has an extension tube has this slipped round? The barrel might also be bent.

Cheekiece -is this too far left for your face. It might not allow your head and eye to lie behind aperture.

Is the rearsight faulty? Some rearsight designs don't have a large adjustment range, and if anything is misaligned, the sight won't centre.

Finally, are you clicking the turret the right way?
conradin

Post by conradin »

This concerns my Steyr LGB-1. Notice that the elevation was not a problem, as shown on the two photos. As long as they land somewhere close to the bullseye (10) it was fine. Plenty of elevation clicks remaining, so no problems. The real problem was about wind-age. The pellets would land running out of (Left) Clicks, that was, could not go further right to nail the bullseye (9 or 10). One of the targets I did manage (or rather the bench make it happened) I did not know that the pellets ended up as a shot on top of another. That were all 5 pellets went through the same hole. I actually thought something was wrong with the rifle because there was only one hole on the target paper. However upon closer examinations it turned out that all 5 shots were on top of each other. After all, the hole was not perfectly round. Unfortunately they were just touching the 8 ring. The click problem prevented the pellets to be closer to 10, ie went further to the right. 8 and 6 were simply unacceptable, because I have a test bench (Tec-Hro), so there was little to no movement at all. Once I took my first aim, I basically just keep pulling the trigger until the pellets were all gone, and was ready for another test batch.

I *do* worry that there maybe something is wrong with the barrel such as bending very very slightly, but of course, very very slightly was not acceptable.

If there are no more suggestions for this post, I guess I will have to talk to Buck and ship the rifle back. It has been twice that we had to ship it back and forth, to the point that we kept using the same cardboard box. Mostly my fault though. This rifle made me appreciate long arms again. I thought my Parkinsonism essentially ended my ability to do target shooting.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Silly boy: just turn the gun sideways and whack the right side of the barrel once on a carpeted floor.

That's it, all done.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Ok, you very probably missing simple stuff.....
Center the windage on the rear,
loosen the front aperture in the globe.
Wiggle it around in the globe and get it settled in as far left as it will go.
That moves the POI for you to the right, adds left windage margin. If that doesn't
get you enough. flip the aperture over if the legs are symmetric and repeat the process.
This problem is either a bad aperture insert or your face not on the gun. This should do it.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Tim S wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:37 am Is the foresight mount vertical/12 o'clock? If the muzzle has an extension tube has this slipped round?
Tim noted my guess ... most of the barrels with tubes on have dimples cut in them for tube alignment.
If there are multiple set screws loosely tighten them all before doing final torquing. If you just tighten one all the way, it could inhibit the others.

Second guess would be putting an Anschutz front sight (base) on a walther or FWB rail ... it will be cocked to the side if yuou do this. Make sure the front sight is on a correct mount. (easy to do is you put on risers, so watch that.)

P.S. on both of these - ask me how I know :-)
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

jhmartin wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:58 am
Tim S wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:37 am Is the foresight mount vertical/12 o'clock? If the muzzle has an extension tube has this slipped round?
Tim noted my guess ... most of the barrels with tubes on have dimples cut in them for tube alignment.
If there are multiple set screws loosely tighten them all before doing final torquing. If you just tighten one all the way, it could inhibit the others.
This happened to me too. Took a while to figure it out. Just had to loosen the barrel shroud and re-align it to center and tighten it.