Inroducing new member

A place to discuss specific issues with the new SASP disciplines

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Sergei1950

Inroducing new member

Post by Sergei1950 »

I am Sergei Bogolepov, MD from Novosibirsk, Russia. Just started shooting air-pistol at 70 y/o. Probably too late ))
Shooting crosman 1377 and MP53m for about three months. Any advices? What is the most important for the beginner?
Rover

Re: Inroducing new member

Post by Rover »

Most important?

Sight alignment. Trigger SQEEZE.
Sergei1950

Post by Sergei1950 »

Thanks a lot for your input. Crosman 1377 has very hard trigger and sights are not adjustable. But I will tame it ))
bandur60

Post by bandur60 »

What Rover said .... also ... since you have fixed sights on the Crosman, work on a consistent and proper sight picture (search ???) and shoot for smallest group on the same area of the target. When you step up to adjustable sights (your next pistol), you can adjust point of impact and you've already been working on the fundamentals. For training, I place group size WAAAYY over score. Someone will correct me if I'm mistaken ------
Sergei1950

Post by Sergei1950 »

Thanks a lot. I purchased MP 657 with adjustable sights (CO2) and shoot while using "rest support" according ISSF rules for seniors. Can got 168-169/200. Waiting for the walnut grip I have ordered. What about shooting while supporting shooting hand under elbow? It requires more effort to control the pistol , but takes the load from deltoids and give opportunity to focus on sights and trigger only. Got only 153/200 today )) I am also dry-shoot white paper staying on unstable surface.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Don't throw in a bunch of extra shit! Stand in a comfortable position. Dry fire for many happy hours 'til you start getting it right.
Sergei1950

Post by Sergei1950 »

I have severe cervical ostheoarthritis that makes long-time "holding exercises" impossible. How it is possible to compensate for these drills? For example, I am juggling regularly 2 balls in one hand staying on one leg to have better balance. Not too bad for 71 y/o.