Now for something completely different

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Rover

Now for something completely different

Post by Rover »

This morning in practice, I had a "pooter". It had enough power to hit the edge of the black at six o'clock, but not enough to cycle the gun. It was noticeable when I shot it.

I wondered what would happen in a match if this occurred. I don't think I've seen this in "real life".
william

Re: Now for something completely different

Post by william »

Rover wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:43 pmI wondered what would happen in a match if this occurred. I don't think I've seen this in "real life".
Oh, I dunno. Maybe you'd shrug your shoulders and be thankful for the better-than-average shot?

And now you have something to talk about over endless beers. So, as my granddaughter says, "It's all good."
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

No refire if the bullet leaves the barrel. See rule 9.4 Defective Cartridge - A defective cartridge is one:

(c) From which the bullet has not left the barrel (No claim for a defective cartridge shall be allowed if bullet has left the barrel.) (For procedure in case of a defective cartridge see Rules 9.4, 10.9 and 10.10. For refiring privileges see Rule 9.14.)
Last edited by GOVTMODEL on Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
CR10X

Post by CR10X »

I think the above poster meant to type "refire".

Specifically, there would be no alibi ( added :"shooter not" eligible for a refire) IF that was the last shot of the string. If it was not the last shot of the string and the gun then failed to fire (jam, next round not chambered, etc.) then a refire would be allowed. (Assuming the shooter did not attempt to clear the pistol before being reviewed by the range personnel.)

However, the poster is correct that if the projectile did not leave the barrel, then that round is not counted as "shots fired" and conversely any round which the projectile leaves the barrel (even if it does not make it to the target) counts as "shots fired".

Yes, it happens once in a while.

Which is why you ALWAYS check the barrel after a squib, low power load or other type of malfunction. There is the possibility of a bullet still stuck in the barrel.

CR
Last edited by CR10X on Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

CR,

I agree that most RO's would allow a refire if it was the last shot of the string, however, I'm not sure that is correct. Rule 9.6 says "Malfunction - Failure of the pistol to function properly due to mechanical defects or to defective ammunition," but Rule 9.4 says "No claim for a defective cartridge shall be allowed if bullet has left the barrel."

So my view is if the bullet left the barrel, Rover is SOL.

Richard
CR10X

Post by CR10X »

What I said was it the there would be no alibi if that was the last shot of the string. I have clarified to ensure that with additional wording.

"Specifically, there would be no alibi (added: "shooter not" eligible for a refire) IF that was the last shot of the string."

If it was the last shot of a string, then it would not be eligible for a refire and no RO should be allowing a refire string in that instance. The shot left the barrel, even if it didn't make it to the target and there would be no more shots left for that string. Shooter is done.

However if it was not the last shot and there was a malfunction, then it would be eligible, but the shot would count since it left the barrel.

CR