Target Height

For those who like shooting in the snow

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Craig1956

conradin

Target Height

Post by conradin »

Hello

I wonder what is the height of the target if I use the air rifle? 10M of course. Also are they the same height when it comes to prone and off hand? Or both targets are different in height?
pcw

Re: Target Height

Post by pcw »

The target heights would almost have to the same a 3p air rifle.
littlecrown

Post by littlecrown »

Is the question here dealing with winter biathlon outdoors at 50m? Are you trying to get the same sight picture that you would at 50m while training with an air rifle at 10m? Winter biathlon is shot in the prone and standing positions only, so there are for sure two different target positions to be used if you are trying to emulate shooting at 50m. The position also depends on the distance the shooter's aiming eye is above the floor.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Yes, I am trying to use 10m (air rifle) to emulate the 50m. I would like to know the height of the target (prone or off hand), both in 50m, and also 10m. I have the biathalon 5 target box. If 10m is unknown, but 50m is, then I just need a calculator.
Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote »

From: www.issf-sports.org/theissf/championshi ... games.ashx

RIFLE 3 POSITIONS MEN (same for WOMEN and MIXED TEAM)

The 50m Rifle 3 Positions Men is an ISSF event where athletes shoot over a distance of 50 meters or 54.68 yards in kneeling, prone and standing positions, using a 5.6 millimeters or 0.22 inches caliber rifle, with a maximum weight of 8.0 kilograms or 17.64 libbers.

The center of the target is positioned at 0.75 meters above the floor and its total diameter measures 154.4 millimeters. The diameters of the fourth ring is 106.4 millimeters, while the tenth ring measures 10.4 millimeters.

10m AIR RIFLE MEN (same for WOMEN and MIXED TEAM)

The 10m Air Rifle Men is an ISSF event where athletes shoot over a distance of 10 meters or 10.94 yards in standing positions, using a 4.5 millimeters or 0.177 inches caliber rifle, with a maximum weight of 5.5 kilograms or 12.13 libbers.

The center of the target is positioned at 1.40 meters above the floor and its total diameter measures 45.5 millimeters. The diameters of the fourth ring is 30.5 millimeters, while the tenth ring measures 0.5 millimeters.
littlecrown

Post by littlecrown »

Check out the International Biathlon Union rules at https://res.cloudinary.com/deltatre-spa ... vedlaw.pdf
and you will find that the center of the targets is from 80 to 100 cm above the shooting ramp (rule 3.4.4.3).
So, in general, approximately 90 cm is the height of the targets above the shooting ramp (grade).
Distances d and D are measured parallel to the floor.
Distances e and H are measured perpendicular to the floor.

To find the equivalent sight picture height, do the following:

measure the distance from your aiming to your training target: d
the actual competition distance: D = 5000 cm (50 m)
the actual competition height above shooting grade: H = 90 cm
measure the height of your aiming eye above the shooting grade: e
calculate the placement height of your target above the shooting grade: h

h = e + (H - e)/D x d

For example: if I were shooting prone: e = 30 cm, d = 1000 cm (for 10 m), D = 5000 cm, H = 90 cm

so for prone h = 30 + (90 - 30)/5000 x 1000 = 42 cm,
and for standing, since e = 157 cm, h = 157 + (90 - 157)/5000 x 1000 = 143.6 cm

So if I wanted to train for biathlon at 10 m, I would set the center of the target at 42 cm above the floor for prone, and at about 144 cm for standing. Of course the black bull would have to be reduced to an appropriate size also, to make the sight picture realistic.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

You’re doing it wrong. When I used that equation my projectiles went back in time.
littlecrown

Post by littlecrown »

That's what happens when you press the "EE" button on the calculator; that gives Extra Energy to the whole thing, and sends the pellets backwards in time while the recoil propels the shooter forwards, with the net effect that the holes appear before you even fired the gun! Otherwise, the equation produces the desired effect correctly. The aliens who communicated it to me by telepathy even told me so!
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

Makes perfect sense. Thank you Sir! Passing through the target was exciting until I got to the berm.